Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II 03 engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Dparham... I had that random tick you are speaking of, It went away after I had the SAI pump replaced. This was a random tick usually during the first 10 minutes of driving, sounded a lot like an exhaust type pop, loud enough to be heard driving at 40 with the windows up. usually only one tick at a time.

Also on the subject, I had the engine replaced by the dealer in my 03 S (in the VIN range) at 38k due to a loud tick, the new replacement engine later at 90k wore out a camshaft, when taken apart the oil pumped gears were cracked.

I conclude that the oil pump gear issue can happen to any engine whether it is in the VIN range or not, since I've had it on two engines in the same truck.

Now with a brand new cam shaft, lifters, oil pump gears, front cover, plugs and wires, i've still got a minor tick at idle. Otherwise the truck runs great. The tick produced by the SAI pump (now gone) was louder than the current tick which is consistent with RPM and only at Idle.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Dparham... I had that random tick you are speaking of, It went away after I had the SAI pump replaced. This was a random tick usually during the first 10 minutes of driving, sounded a lot like an exhaust type pop, loud enough to be heard driving at 40 with the windows up. usually only one tick at a time.

Also on the subject, I had the engine replaced by the dealer in my 03 S (in the VIN range) at 38k due to a loud tick, the new replacement engine later at 90k wore out a camshaft, when taken apart the oil pumped gears were cracked.

I conclude that the oil pump gear issue can happen to any engine whether it is in the VIN range or not, since I've had it on two engines in the same truck.

Now with a brand new cam shaft, lifters, oil pump gears, front cover, plugs and wires, i've still got a minor tick at idle. Otherwise the truck runs great. The tick produced by the SAI pump (now gone) was louder than the current tick which is consistent with RPM and only at Idle.
Thanks for the info! i bought my truck used with 84k and at one time around 14k had an accident but not totalled and no frame or real known damage [CARFAX] and visual inspection..but did see a new fender on left side everything matched up and I had to look REAL close to see that it was replaced with new one... also some idiot unplugged and cut off the plug to the a/c pressor switch so been looking for that .. other than that I totally expect the SAI pump or something in that area.. I hear something like an exhaust leak on warmup and a little bit after warmup and throws off O2 on that bank and get a CAT code... I took to muffler shop and they checked and found a failed muffler so I had new one installed ... they checked again and there was no leak on muffler... so now I suspect SAi but cant locate any puffs or anything... bought some seafoam to try induction cleaning but afraid of MAF sensor damage so put it off... also the smoke cloud Im afraid will get me a visit from police...lol

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Sea foam does not pass thru the MAF, just in a vac port. Be more afraid of visit from fire department... false run charges can be stiff. But if you are uncomfortable with it, there are methods of sucking smoke into the system and having that float out. Always an good excuse for good cigar....

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Sea foam does not pass thru the MAF, just in a vac port. Be more afraid of visit from fire department... false run charges can be stiff. But if you are uncomfortable with it, there are methods of sucking smoke into the system and having that float out. Always an good excuse for good cigar....
TALK TO ME TALK TO ME! I gotcher 2 humidors FULL of South of the Border Smokes aching for a light! where do I blow the smoke!?? hehe

Dennis

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Another shade tree method - with engine off, attach shop vac output to exhaust pipe, plug other (if duals) with potato (yep, that still works you little pranksters) or duct tape. If you can't hear the leak, a cloud of cigar smoke blown in suspect directions may suddenly be swirled by the escaping air. This way you are not in competition with the truck noise and radiator fan. Sometimes pipe leaks can be located by shoving a boat canned air horn in the exhaust wrapped with a cloth towel to keep noise in the system.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
JBA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, new update from the mechanic. The noise stops when the plug wires are pulled for 7 & 8. He thinks this is going to require a complete tear down of the engine.

Also, to clarify, the noise doen't begin until its running warm and then does not stop.

Last edited by JBA; 01-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seriously, a tear down is a waste of time and money if your not going to do top hat liners. Many rovers make the ticking noise and a certain number of them is the liners moving up and down. This does not hurt anything its just annoying and quite a few have replaced about every moving part except the block, and still had the tick upon reassembly.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My engine ticked, and ticked, and ticked. (when warm)

I rebuilt it, and re-used the same crank, pump, pistons, rods, lifters, cam, rockers, heads, sump, flexplate, EVERYTHING from before. Evrything apart from a new block and top-hat liners; Only other new parts were bearings, seals, rings, gaskets and ARP's.

I was still told by many genius's that it wasn't the block making the noise.

Hey presto, and there is no more ticking...

I guess it could be that if your bad liner(s) were 7&8 then pulling the plug and reducing the ignition cycle in there could reduce the tendancy for the piston to move the liner, but I just don't know - It's not a test that I perfomed personally.

Last edited by turbodave; 01-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so mine issue is slightly opposite. I just picked up the disco from the dealer after having them install a new front cover and oil pump. I am having some lifter noise right on start up, but it quiets down after 20 seconds... I never had that before... does anyone have any ideas on that one ? this is the Tacoma Land Rover Dealership, and when I checked, I noticed they underfilled the coolant and over filled the oil (which I have since rememdied when I got it home... Neat!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Take it back, when engine cranks, oil light should go out promptly. If well below freezing, should be runing 5W40 oil. AHve them do an oil PSI test to verify pump is working.

Quick Reply: Disco II 03 engine ticking