Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco II?

The DII is a great choice for a growing family, especially if you buy an SE7 (w/ jump seats). I have two SE7s.

In regards to reliability, I rate them higher than an Audi A4. A4s have had issues with sludge, Turbos (if 1.8L 4), timing belts, OBD II CEL, ball joints, auto trans front drum, electronics,etc.

On the other hand, the DII has an ultra sensitive ABS Traction control system = problems. The 4.0 L V8 in 1999 - 2002 are solid engines(No timing belt, easy to work on, easy to maintain). Some 4.6 L in 2003 have oil pump issues that may cause an engine failure (check other threads on this subject and the VIN range). The 4.6 L in the 2004 is good.

Transmission and drivetrain is bullet proof, frequency of failure is much lower than BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Etc. Cooling system, charging / starting systems, fit and finish, body hardware is excellent.

In summary, if you have the cash, buy a 2004 low mileage that has been maintained, have it checked by your indpendent ASE certified tech before purchasing it. If money is an issue, get a 2000 - 2001-1/2, under 100 K Miles that has been maintained.

NET: If you maintain it you will enjoy the LR ownership experience.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Just my two cents here, but I love my '03 so far. I've only owned it for about 4 months, but I've wanted a Disco since the first time I ever laid eyes on one. The preventative maintenance costs will probably exceed your Audi, unless the Audi is Quattro. You have to remember that you have not only the larger engine, but two differentials, transmission, transfer case, and like someone else said, the ABS system is rather finicky. I have had my CEL come on several times, and it's always been the same thing, the other day, it actually went off by itself, without a reset. My 3 amigos have made theirselves known a few times too, but restarting the truck has always taken care of that little issue. All in all, I would recommend one to anybody, but just remember to keep your wits about you when you buy the truck. Look at everything. Over under inside and out. If the seller is being too pushy to sell you the truck, there's probably something they're not telling you.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the replies. As far as the Discos go, I found a very nice 2001 71,000 K miles, all service records included. Car ran nice, although I haven't driven any others to compare. Nothing major ever repaired or changed. Just brake pads (no rotors) and regular oil changes Brought it to the local LR dealer. Vehicle got a clean bill of health, with one exception. The ABS light was on. The dealer said this could be taken care of for about $900. I can use this for negotiating, but will this remain a problem in the future. Last thing I need are the brakes to fail.
Anything else I should look for specifically for the 2001 model SD?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Mudding

Great find, you need to plan on a set of front rotors, despite the fact that they may not be scratched, they thin out because owners sometimes use cheap aftermarket pads.
In regards to the ABS light, no big deal, you can get it fixed, probably an ABS wheel sensor. Try to find an independent ASE Certified tech that works on LRs. Good luck negotiating.