Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II - 2003 P1300 + P303 /305/ 306 +P300

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Disco II - 2003 P1300 + P303 /305/ 306 +P300

I understand the codes reading:
a. Failed ignition coil or Catalyst damaging level of misfire on more than 1 cylinder
b. Along with Plug 3-5-6 misfire

I am getting slightly confused and frustrated at this point due to the following:
1. Replaced Plugs w-Bosh Iridium
(same brand before codes were thrown but doing tune up)

2. Replaced Wires w-Blue NGK 7mm
(which were same mm on vehicle prior to codes thrown)
(those guys who say they can do without removing upper manifold either have girls fingers or amazingly crazy tech years of experience an skill an my hat goes off to you but I made sure to remove all an put upper manifold on an off vertically so no issues when plugged wires into ignition coil)

I understand after going online there can be multiple issues here and others say when you throw these codes you need a full tune up. I have done everything from:
a. Tank cleaned valve covers
b. New-Valve Cover gaskets
c. Cleaned Upper Manifold
d. New-Manifold gasket
e. Gone through most ALL hoses and vacum areas multiple times to check
f. Replaced all hose clamps
g. New-blue silicone wires
h. New-bosh plugs
i. Routinely utilize SEaFoam on full tanks
j. New Air filter
k. Oil treatment w Rotella 10w-40
l. Got all wonderfully made bolts torqued 10lbs on valve covers an NO leaking
l. Air bubble check on upper manifold for vacuum leaks

I have a slight crack on plastic on inner latch for filter cover lid.
(I was told by multiple people it is from the Mass Air flow sensor back that causes an issue)

It appears to have a small in line cracking along the tube that connects the filter cover lid to where it attaches to the MAF
> COULD this POSE issue here?

The upper part of the ignition coil pack i forgot to secure into the upper manifold with the 2-screw down locations. My fault after checking every darn thing like 5 times.
>COULD this CAUSE a grounding issue now that I have a stronger current?

I have also read that the stupid non in-line fuel filter and ONLY FUEL PUMP can have issues and help to CAUSE ISSUES here due to a fuel lean issue.
>COULD that cause the combination of codes here as well?

It is all so darn messed up cause I thought I did well an going through everything to only be left with codes thrown an getting less gas mileage combined with a slight rough ride when Rover is at idle.

>JUST a SIDE note>I am throwing P1415 + P0130 to which Iam doing an entire check according to RAV CD of the secondary air system, vacuum connections to solenoid on side of the upper manifold to see if anything not plugged in properly or leaking etc. Then it would seem to be the solenoid from what I read online that is most likely the ISSUE if nothing else is effected in any way.
----Just wanted to throw in there if in case this makes a difference on how the other misfire codes come into play....that is where my DIY runs out.

I thank you for your assistance in any way!
Greg

Last edited by Gromeo; 04-12-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Describe air bubble test for vac leaks - I thought that mainly was used to detect leaks of positive pressure rather than vacuum?

2. The ignition coils get plus battery from a fuse, then the ECU supplies the ground (2 per coil) that is switched at just the right time to fire the coils. The mount screw is not part of the electrical path.

3. The ONLY fuel pump is a plus, my Mercedes has two, and won't run with just one, even though you hear the other pump running. Mercedes run like 70 PSI of fuel pressure.

4. That 0130 code indicates issues with an O2 sensor, which could keep you in open loop fueling, MPG suffers.

5. The SAI makes a periodic test, and failure of expected results is making the 1415 code.

6. Look at your work in total darkness to see any arcs. Check around boots, wires, and coils.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Drifting

Which O2 sensor are we speaking of here to get MPG back up?
--States bank1 sensor1

How do I find an effective solution for your no5 to help SAI flow be proper?

>>Iam going out tonight now to see if any arcs or visible sparks around wires, boots or coil based upon another Forum you answered. Thank you so much and I will reply and post results from darkness check.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Drifting
Question Nightime Coil, Wire, Boot an plug check

CHECKED all in darkness:

1. ONLY light is coming from the circle around plug as a steady flicker of light
--Best way to describe is the area just around the plugs that go down into engine as they tighten is had a circle of light from the spark around each of them and there was a consistent seemingly spark or flicker of light.

2. NO sparking or light from boot or upper boot area

3. NO sparking coming from the new wires or the coil area

Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you saying your seeing light around the base of the spark plugs where they thread into the heads?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Yes.
All the spark plugs are showing light exactly the same an flicker exactly the same all what seems iin dark to be at the base of the spark plug.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The #1 O2 sensor is the one before the catalytic converter, the number 2 is the downstream one.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Drifting

OK.

>>CAN someone reply to spark plug, wire, boot an coil check in DARK as requested do??

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You should not be seeing any light at the base of any of the spark plugs. That would indicate that either the wires are not fully seated on the plugs, the plugs are cracked and 'leaking' spark to the outside of the head, or the plugs are not fully seated in the head, and you're seeing light from combustion.
Without that bit of information, I would be double check your wires at your coils, 5 and 6 are right next to each other, And 3 may be an erroneous fault, as firing order is 3-6-5.
With the p0130 code, check your wiring for the front left sensor, make sure it's not rubbing on anything, and no oil in the connector.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Should I NOT see any white of the plug once wires are 'seated' on?

I got a set of what I was told good NGK blue silicone plug wires and will have to remove upper manifold to properly check the fully seating of 5 + 6 on ignition coil.

Could it be that this type of plug set do not have proper length of boot or something? It does seem odd overall and would make sense that it is throwing P1300 if the boots are not seating correctly all around!

>>Also-- I have the Bosh iridium plugs --So are the longer set of plugs or standard in length going into the boot?

Quick Reply: Disco II - 2003 P1300 + P303 /305/ 306 +P300