Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side

Hi All,

My Disco nearly stranded me tonight, I've got a fairly serious stream of coolant which seems to be shooting out of the engine on the driver's side, looks like just behind the power steering pump (I think). It's like a squirt gun sized stream.

Does this sound like any obvious problem. My oil shows no signs of coolant, exhaust looks normal, so I'm hoping not a head gasket.

Are there any hoses on that side that could be the culprit. I'm downloading rave to try to trace it but any help or theories would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Drivers side is the location of the throttle body heater plate. there is also the hard plastic return line to the overflow tank. then there is the top radiator hose. might look at those 3 to start.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks, jeffh, I can definitely rule out those three, all clean and dry... The stream is much further down, below and behind the power steering pump pressure line somewhere I think.

I just started it up and it's just dribbling out now, not the stream I saw earlier, but it's too dark now to see much so I'll have to wait for morning I guess.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the plumbing plan. A pressure tester can be loaned/rented from many parts stores, pump up to 15 psi and wait 30 minutes. Easier to find a leak when engine not spinning and trying to separate your dreadlocks and fingers from the rest of your body.

Attached Thumbnails Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-d2-coolant-flow-001.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
... trying to separate your dreadlocks ...
well, "dreads" is what I got here... as in "dreadin" what the problem might be.

I'm really starting to fear the head gasket, since I can't work out what else could be leaking in that region, but don't know why I'm not seeing water in the oil.

Guess the pressure test is the next step.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Take a picture.
Open the picture in Microsoft paint.
Draw an arrow to the leak.
Save as a small jpg.

Post to this site so we can see.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to check your driver's side plastic tank on the radiator, as that is where my D2 developed a leak, which I fixed by installing a Silla 7868A radiator from Amazon with lifetime warranty.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Radiator, front cover gasket,.....

Attached Thumbnails Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-photo_zpsce4b6f53.jpg   Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-img563_zps64ff2827.jpg   Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-30023360385_large.jpg   Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-8608824467_50c288d742_c.jpg   Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side-d2-rad-top-scew-crack.jpg  

Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, Savannah Buzz for the idea and great link. I hope it's not that front cover gasket I think that's an expensive repair since it's not something I can do in my driveway.

I'm picking up a pressure tester later, but might not have the chance to use it until tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly cheaper ($110 parts, includes new oil pump) and easier than head gaskets. There is also a valley pan gasket between heads and intake, has water at the four corners.

Quick Reply: Disco II -- coolant leak, er-- stream - driver's side