Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Oil Leak

I have an 02 Disco II with 105k miles. Had oil leak start around 90k while under warranty. Dealer replaced oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, rear main seal, front seal and cross "crucifix" seals. It has continued to leak after every change. It will leave a spot about two inches in diameter every night after being driven. I looks like it's coming from somewhere around the starter and dripping somewhere from there. What other gaskets are there to change. Land Rover told me to take it back to dealer but this has been going on now for over 6 months with no resolution. any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well the obvious question is "have you taken it back to the dealer? what did they say?"

if it has a warranty and a mechanical problem then THEY should be fixing it. I see that you are out of warranty mileage wise now but it was documented with them before it went out of warranty, correct?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Mudding

Make sure your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is functioning properly and the breather tube and strainers on top of the valve covers are not clogged. If both systems are clogged, it will cause a leak at the main seals or valve cover gaskets.

Are you positively sure that the dealer replaced your rear main seal. Did they remove your transmission to get it done?

I have a bad feeling that they did not do the rear main and it is leaking there!!!

How much did you pay???

Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

All of the above and look at where the heads meet the block and valley cover at the rear of the engine above the transmission. If the cover has been off and not properly sealed it will leak there. Its close back there good light and a mirrow my be needed. Jneil

Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Exactly where is it leaking from, was that seal replaced by the dealer, if so, you have a 1 year warranty from Rover on that seal.
If it is something else, you are out of luck and will need to spend the big $$'s to get it fixed.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by pilsner
well the obvious question is "have you taken it back to the dealer? what did they say?"

if it has a warranty and a mechanical problem then THEY should be fixing it. I see that you are out of warranty mileage wise now but it was documented with them before it went out of warranty, correct?
It was last in the dealers shop in december, but now is leaking again. All the warranty work is documented. The last time I took it back I even called LR to advise them. I had a local mechanic put dye in the crankcase a few weeks ago and plan on contacting the dealer this week. My nearest LR dealer is about 100 miles away.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by unimoged
Make sure your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is functioning properly and the breather tube and strainers on top of the valve covers are not clogged. If both systems are clogged, it will cause a leak at the main seals or valve cover gaskets.

Are you positively sure that the dealer replaced your rear main seal. Did they remove your transmission to get it done?

I have a bad feeling that they did not do the rear main and it is leaking there!!!

How much did you pay???
Not sure if they've done any work or checked the PVC system. I do know for sure they replaced the rear main because when I picked it up it wasn't shifting properly so they had to adjust transmission linkage. Said it was from having to take the tranny out but didn't readjust it properly. I have paid about $900. All that was from when the head gaskets were replaced under warranty, they suggested decarbon, rollers, guides etc that were not covered under warranty. Its been in the shop 5 or 6 times for this leak!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jneil
All of the above and look at where the heads meet the block and valley cover at the rear of the engine above the transmission. If the cover has been off and not properly sealed it will leak there. Its close back there good light and a mirrow my be needed. Jneil
They said they replaced a valley seal.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Exactly where is it leaking from, was that seal replaced by the dealer, if so, you have a 1 year warranty from Rover on that seal.
If it is something else, you are out of luck and will need to spend the big $$'s to get it fixed.
At the last trip to the shop in December, they say there are no other gaskets to replace. I bought this vehicle with about 50k miles and prior owner had not used synthetic oil, so I kept with what they had been using. After the first work LR dealer did, they put synthetic in. At next repair, they put the same oil I had been using. Said that synthetic could be causing it to leak?