Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II and the peasky Dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012 | 10:43 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Disco II and the peasky Dealer question

Hi All,

I've been lurking around here for a while. I have a keen interest to purchase a Disco II since the prices are getting extremely reasonable, despite what everyone, mostly non-eurocar, types say. I am very familiar with the potential maintenance costs, etc. but it would be a third car, camp, family, play truck so ideally it wouldn’t be the daily driver.

Here’s the question; is it possible to own a 04 Disco and be completely independent of the Land Rover Dealer? I have no problem using a good indie for things I can’t/won’t do, but to take it to our local authorized dealer for certain issues wouldn’t cut it. I’m a good DYI’er, have messed with BMW’s for years (love ‘em) without dealer support and made those cost effective to own. Does the Hawkeye and/or Nanacom Evolution get you what you need away from Testbook? Completely? Or is there still a chance you would have to visit the dealer for certain issues/service? Thanks for any input.

Old 10-11-2012 | 10:48 AM
Winching

I've had my '99 since mid-2010 and have yet to walk into a LR dealer yet. A regular code reader and an ABS Amigo will take care of the vast majority of what you need.

If you decide to make changes that require updates to the ECU/BCU settings, etc, then you can try your independent LR shop, but I haven't found much I'd need them for either.

Old 10-11-2012 | 10:49 AM
Winching

ABS issues aside, a good scanner will take care of most issues. There is an ABS Amigo (OBD/USB compliant reader that scans and clears pesky ABS codes if you're familiar with the "three amigos" that plague many rover owners).

That being said, I have owned an '04 and rarely have codes other than the occansional loose gas cap, and it has NEVER been to a dealer for anything.

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
A regular code reader and an ABS Amigo will take care of the vast majority of what you need.
Though for the $200 the amigo costs (new) and the $100 for a code reader or ultragauge, you are almost to the price of a nanocom.

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
Though for the $200 the amigo costs (new) and the $100 for a code reader or ultragauge, you are almost to the price of a nanocom.
Yeah, but you could even just rent an ABS Amigo from someone like Ed (hilltoppersx) if you needed one.

I've tried to justify a Nanocom, or even a Hawkeye and just haven't been able to convince myself that I'd ever need the added functionality to justify the extra $$$. (BTW when you look close at what the Hawkeye claims to do, you find it can't do everything...)

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
(BTW when you look close at what the Hawkeye claims to do, you find it can't do everything...)
I don't have to look close... I own one. I wish I had bought the nanocom instead...

Old 10-11-2012 | 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

And you will save so much DIY on everything else an occasional trip to the dealer will be modest.

Old 10-11-2012 | 02:05 PM
Administrator

As long as you are some what mechanical and can follow direction, also knowing where to buy parts and you should never need to go see the dealer.

Old 10-11-2012 | 02:28 PM
4wd Low

why so set against going to the dealer?

Old 10-11-2012 | 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Stay well away from national chains like Sears, Pepboys etc. for everything but tires... but other then that, other then GETTING misc. parts like small gaskets or drivetrain items, any work needed be done on the Disco can be done by ANY mechanic, they are incredibly noncomplex. All the nuiances are pointed out in Rave or Alldata so other then warrenty work, you should be free and clear of LR Dealerships except at late night to sneak on thier test drive obstacle course after a few beers. I always tell people to drive around all the local shops once in awhile and see what kind of cars the routinly work on. Mechs get comfortable, and good ones retain the same people for years. If your neighborhood is mostly hoopties, japanese ****boxs that have teens driving them with fartcan mufflers and rtype badges, then dont go where they all go haha. Look for family garages that you can walk into and chat up things with the head mechanic, see how he operates and works with his crew... is everyone there pissed off and moping around? Or are they bull****tin with each other and all pitchin in? Thats how you find the place to bring your car! And ALWAYS say "ok i gotta check with the wife about the finances" when given an estimate, then report back to the internet with the diagnosis and get free second opinions too see if your being steered into a scam or of hes legit!

Last edited by grandkodiak; 10-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Disco II and the peasky Dealer question