Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Radius Arm How-To

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Disco II Radius Arm How-To

Hi all,

Per my previous post, I got a set of offset radius arms from Overtym. Bill, the previous owner of RoverTym, is the owner. I can't say enough great things about Bill. He will custom make a set of radius arms for your lift for $275 plus $100 for the core. Shipping extra. I can testify that his work is top-notch and the arms are perfect. Not sure if I am able to give him a plug on this forum, but he can be reached at 916.257.2969.

So I planned about 4 hours for the job, but only needed one. Here are the steps I followed for a painless install.

1. Use penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts and where the bushings meets the mounts about a week before you do the job. I did it a few times during the week as well.
2. Put the truck on some ramps and chock the back tires
3. Remove the track rod from the drivers side (US) and move out of the way
4. Remove the nuts from the drivers side (US) radius arm. You will need a breaker bar, a 21mm socket and a 24mm socket or box wrench. They are tight, but they will come off. I used a impact gun where it would fit with no problems
5. Remove the drivers side (US) radius arm
6. Put the new radius arm in place and put the bolt through on the frame side
7. Lift the radius arm up and put the rear-facing bolt through on the axle. You might need to push/pull on the axle to line it up
8. Put nuts on both bolts but dont tighten all the way
9. Remove the passenger side (US) radius arm by removing the nuts, then remove the radius arm to frame bolt, then the two front bolts.
10. For this one, put the two axle bolts through first, then push up on the radius arm to push the frame side bolt through.
11. Once the passenger side (US) is on but not tight, get the rover jack out and put it on a block of wood under the driver side (US) radius arm where the missing bolt is. One or two pumps and the arm should be in place to push the last bolt through.
12. Re-install the track rod and tighten
13. Tighten all bolts for both radius arms to 175 ft lbs. You need to have the weight of the truck on them when you tighten, which is why I recommend using the ramps and not jacking it up
14. Done

I cant tell you how much of a difference the new arms made. Truck tracks straight, feels more solid in the corners, and doesn't shake like a school bus when I hit a pothole. If you have a 3" or higher lift, YOU NEED OFFSET RADIUS ARMS. I should have done this 10 years ago!

Cheers,
Jamie

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (03-14-2022)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks

Originally Posted by humroot
hi all,

per my previous post, i got a set of offset radius arms from overtym. Bill, the previous owner of rovertym, is the owner. I can't say enough great things about bill. He will custom make a set of radius arms for your lift for $275 plus $100 for the core. Shipping extra. I can testify that his work is top-notch and the arms are perfect. Not sure if i am able to give him a plug on this forum, but he can be reached at 916.257.2969.

So i planned about 4 hours for the job, but only needed one. Here are the steps i followed for a painless install.

1. Use penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts and where the bushings meets the mounts about a week before you do the job. I did it a few times during the week as well.
2. Put the truck on some ramps and chock the back tires
3. Remove the track rod from the drivers side (us) and move out of the way
4. Remove the nuts from the drivers side (us) radius arm. You will need a breaker bar, a 21mm socket and a 24mm socket or box wrench. They are tight, but they will come off. I used a impact gun where it would fit with no problems
5. Remove the drivers side (us) radius arm
6. Put the new radius arm in place and put the bolt through on the frame side
7. Lift the radius arm up and put the rear-facing bolt through on the axle. You might need to push/pull on the axle to line it up
8. Put nuts on both bolts but dont tighten all the way
9. Remove the passenger side (us) radius arm by removing the nuts, then remove the radius arm to frame bolt, then the two front bolts.
10. For this one, put the two axle bolts through first, then push up on the radius arm to push the frame side bolt through.
11. Once the passenger side (us) is on but not tight, get the rover jack out and put it on a block of wood under the driver side (us) radius arm where the missing bolt is. One or two pumps and the arm should be in place to push the last bolt through.
12. Re-install the track rod and tighten
13. Tighten all bolts for both radius arms to 175 ft lbs. You need to have the weight of the truck on them when you tighten, which is why i recommend using the ramps and not jacking it up
14. Done

i cant tell you how much of a difference the new arms made. Truck tracks straight, feels more solid in the corners, and doesn't shake like a school bus when i hit a pothole. If you have a 3" or higher lift, you need offset radius arms. I should have done this 10 years ago!

Cheers,
jamie

Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm close behind you on this project and should have done it years ago for sure.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks for posting your experience. I'm close behind you on this project and should have done it years ago for sure.
The only reason I did it now, after 10 years with a 3" lift, is that my son is turning 16 and he will be getting the rover. Had to make it as safe as I could. If I had known that I could get the arms so cheap, how easy it was to change them, and how much of a difference it makes in the ride, I definitely would have done this sooner.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
The only reason I did it now, after 10 years with a 3" lift, is that my son is turning 16 and he will be getting the rover. Had to make it as safe as I could. If I had known that I could get the arms so cheap, how easy it was to change them, and how much of a difference it makes in the ride, I definitely would have done this sooner.
My reason is similar. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis so her holding the steering wheel, especially when we visit Louisiana (if you've been there you know how terrible the roads are, pretty much everywhere), is not an option. I think you were wise to get it fixed with a young driver. I have more lift than you and still stock arms. Bad. Anyway, I appreciate you naming a good source for them and posting your experience and how to. I'll tell Bill you sent me from the forums.