Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Speaker Opening Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Speaker Opening Dimensions

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to replace the speakers in my 1999 Disco II this weekend. I have the Harman Kardon Highline system in my vehicle w/ the Alpine Head Unit, the Harman Kardon Amp under the Driver's Seat, and the CD Changer under the Passenger's seat.

I'm looking at replacing the four lower door speakers. I'm thinking about either the Polk Audio db651 (link) or the Alpine SPE-6000 (link).

Polk makes another version of the db651, the db651s that's a "slim" version of the db651. I've looked at the specs and the only thing I can see different is how far the tweeter protrudes past the speaker face.

Crutchfield only carries the db651s model and they state that it will fit in the front doors, but will not fit in the rear doors (not the tail door, those are subs and I'm gonna have to do the $20 walmart subwoofer box hack for those).

What I really need are the dimensions of the opening for the speakers on the Front RH / Front LH and the Rear RH / Rear LH doors. Specifically, I'm looking for the opening diameter and the depth of the opening so that I can determine which speakers will work where.

Crutchfield does say that the Kenwood KFC-1664S will work in the rear door and it has a depth of 2-1/8". The Alpine SPE-6000 has a depth of 2-3/8" and the Polk Audio db651 and db651s have a depth of 2-5/16". I can always modify the diameter of the opening to make it work, if necessary, but the depth is going to be a problem if the door isn't deep enough. If anyone has those door panels off on a 1999 Disco II and you wouldn't mind running a tape measure into the opening to get the diameter and depth, I'd be VERY grateful.

BTW, I'm leaning towards the Alpine's. They have really good reviews and BestBuy has them on sale for $60/pair. I've love to get the Polk's, but I can't justify spending another $40/pair to get them. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever finish this project and take any measurements? Do you remember what you did? I'm starting this project now

Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Overlanding

I did complete the project. Unfortunately, I neglected to take any measurements. I ended up going with the Polk db651s model. They fit in all four doors. I had to drill some new holes to mount them, but other than that I didn't have to make any modifications. If you purchase them from Crutchfield, you'll get the wiring adapters that will allow you to keep the original wiring. I bought them off of Amazon and just cut the old connectors off and soldered the wires to the speakers.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you went with the Polk db651 for the bottom speakers in all 4 doors. What about the top speakers in all 4 doors? What is the wall mart sub fix? I need to do that badly. What did you do for tweeters up front?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Overlanding

I went with the original speakers for the midrange (upper speakers) in the front doors and the tweeters (upper speakers) in the rear doors.

For the back, I replaced the two speakers with a single speaker I picked up on Amazon. I don't remember the brand.