Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II starting to run hot...causes???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II starting to run hot...causes???

Hey everybody. My Disco II is starting to run hot. Not into the red, but definitely hotter than normal. I know running these hot is a BIG no-no, so I told my girl to stop driving it (I actually have her getting a rental car to drive home from work...)

The coolant level is full. It's about 100 degrees outside here in Texas, but it has never run this hot before. What am I looking at here? Thermostat? Water Pump? Where do I start?

My A/C has been weaker than normal, but that started about two months ago and I don't think one has to do with the other, right?

Thanks!

Last edited by jrkstore43; 06-22-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First, degrease your engine. Make sure to get around the heads and valve covers.

How hot are we talking about? My 03 runs about a notch above the center line.

Does it get hotter than normal when idling, or only under a load (driving)?

Did you notice any smells? Coolant perhaps?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrkstore43
Hey everybody. My Disco II is starting to run hot. Not into the red, but definitely hotter than normal. I know running these hot is a BIG no-no, so I told my girl to stop driving it (I actually have her getting a rental car to drive home from work...)

The coolant level is full. It's about 100 degrees outside here in Texas, but it has never run this hot before. What am I looking at here? Thermostat? Water Pump? Where do I start?

My A/C has been weaker than normal, but that started about two months ago and I don't think one has to do with the other, right?

Thanks!
This is one of those thing where you tell us what you have done so far and we will come back with answers.
By the way, sounds like you are not at all mechanical, so I am going to assume a mechanic will need to get involved. That being the case, tomorrow morning fill the coolant bottle all the way to the cap and get it to a mechanic.
Let us know what he says.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Once you answer jmt's questions we can better help you, and yes, the 2 problems can be related.
Next time it starts to run hot turn off the A/C and see if it cools down.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Mudding

I'll have more details once I get my hands on the truck in two days (I'm out of town right now.)

I like to think of myself as marginally mechanical. I did all the 60K service and plugs/wires and new rotors/pads. Not rocket science, but not bad. I've done thermostats and water pumps on vehicles in the past, so figured I could tackle this also. (I mean, I know it's a Rover, but can it be that bad?)

I didn't seen any coolant leaks or smell any coolant the last time I drove the truck, but that could be different now. I'll check into more of the suggestions you guys already gave and get back soon.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Mudding

OK, I got my hands on the truck today and I'm not sure what to think.

I can't get it to overheat again. I ran it on the highway, idled it in park with the A/C on full blast, ran up the RPMs for awhile with it in drive and stopped. Nothing. The temp gauge stayed where it always does...dead center between the two white tick marks at the 3 o'clock position.

Now, when it overheated the other day, the gauge was between the high white tick mark and the red. I've never seen it run this high before. It occurred while driving under normal conditions.

Could the thermostat have been stuck closed and now it opened up? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Mudding

Any last words of advice before I chalk it up to a freak incident?

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Could have been a air bubble in the cooling system, was the coolant low?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you know how to bleed the system?
Send me your tele number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Mudding

Coolant level was full and I bled the system a few months back when I changed the coolant. I'll shoot you my number, Mike and we can talk.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Disco II starting to run hot...causes???