Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II steering knuckle? Stiff steering.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II steering knuckle? Stiff steering.

Here is the issue I am seeing. When I go to turn there is a stiff point during the rotation of the wheel at about 10deg, 30 deg and so on. In between those points the steering feels normal. When turning in a slight turn the steering is so heavy and stiff I can let go of the wheel and it will stay turning in that direction.

My PS pump sounds fine when it is turning and only hums when at the full lock at each lock.

Here is what I did sofar:

I just got through bleeding my ps. During the bleed I decided to completely drain it and replace all the fluid, it is almost completely clear now (slight amber). I then rebled it to be sure there were no leaks.

I also soaked the entire steering assembly underneath last week and repeated it today. I sprayed the knuckle assembly where it comes right out of the firewall (1). It is still very stiff at certain degrees of rotation. I have completely soaked 1 and 2 with PB and other penetrating fluids.

So do I need to take it to the stealer or can I repair this on my own? Any ideas on what it may be?

Attached Thumbnails Disco II steering knuckle? Stiff steering.-knuckle.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling

I just got off phone with AB and the parts guy said it might be the steering box? Anyone else have this go out?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it is not the knuckle that is the problem, then I would suggest you go buy a bottle of Lucas P/S additive and but between a 1/2 and a full bottle in to let it loosen up the internal valving.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike,

I put in the lucas and still no better. Probably time to move on to something mechanical. Any line on a cheaper steering box? Rovers north seems to be the cheapest at 659. AB has same one for nearly 800.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Did you put the Lucas in today, if so drive it for a couple of days, it doesn't work in a few minutes of driving.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Default IT WORKED... sorta

So my neighbor cut down this massive oak in her yard, to get to it they had to bring the cherry picker through my yard. It cut huge ruts in my grass. So after the truck had sat all day in the driveway I decided to steamroll my yard with my 7000 pound toy. As soon as I went off road with it the steering felt normal. After 3-4 passes over the ruts it felt perfect! So I dont know which helped more the full fluid change, the lucas, the pen oil or the ruts, it is now turning markedly smoother. It still feels like its binding a little but its way better. I will check it in the am and see.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Nope, stiff as a board this morning. I guess its on to the steering box.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Try it a little more before you spend the big bucks.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the steering box just yet. My suggestion would be to narrow it down first. Remove the drag link from the steering box using a pickle fork or tie rod pusher. Harbor Freight sells a nice suspension removal kit. With the steering basically removed, turn the wheel and feel for inconsistancies as you turn it. Since there is no suspension resistance, the wheel should turn absolutely smoothly. If you feel intermittent tightness, then you know it's probably the steering box. The next step would be to remove the steering shaft connection and turn it by hand and feel for roughness.

I just rebuilt my Corvette steering box a couple weeks ago. It was pretty easy, actually. I felt stuttering as I turned the steering box. The top bearings at the input shaft were badly rusted and spalled. I bought a rebuild kit only because it also needed lower bushings. You might try disassembling it and see how it looks inside. You will need to take it to a garage to have it re-adjusted as it takes a very sensitive torque wrench with low increment in/lbs. But that wouldn't cost very much.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Mudding

jomar it sounds like the steering shaft is no good those symtoms are classic signs it.penatrant oil and hitting it with a hammer sometimes works but not always i would take the shaft out (its fairly easy) and check the joints.i do not think its your steering box.oh by the way if u didnt know the steering shaft is the part that goes from the steering colum to the steering box.

Quick Reply: Disco II steering knuckle? Stiff steering.