Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Leaking Oil like a sieve

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Leaking Oil like a sieve

Hi Everyone. I have a 03 Disco with 128k miles on it. My wife took it to South Carolina yesterday and on the way back today it died on her about a hour outside Colombia. Columbia is a good 3 hours from our home in NC. She has a tow truck on the way to tow it to the dealer in Columbia.

She told me that she was driving along and all of a sudden there was black smoke behind the vehicle. She pulled over stopped the engine and said that oil was leaking like a sieve from under the car around the oil pan. She said that she fired it back up and more oil just started coming out and she shut off the vehicle.

I just had it in the shop at a reputable shop close to he house and had the intake manifold gaskets, Valve cover gaskets, and intake Plenum gaskets replaced. I know there isnt much info here, but based on what she told me, do any of you have any ideas as to what it could be?

Also, anyone know any reasonable shops in the Columbia SC area?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We really need to know where it is leaking from.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Front main seal?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
4wd Low

So I just heard from the dealer. They are telling me that its transmission fluid leaking out and that the transmission pump is bad and the rear main seal is broken.

When i asked the guy on the phone how he could tell the pump was bad if he didnt drop the transmission he said he was trusting what his tec said. He also told me his tech found metal shavings in the fluid.

When i asked him how he found shavings in the fluid if he didnt drop the pan or transmission, he hemmed and hawed for a second and said that they saw the shavings in the fluid that dropped.

He can get me a USED transmission installed for 3269.45 out the door. BUT that dosent guarantee any issues that come up when they drop the transmission and drop the rear main seal.

ALSO, he says my brake master cylinder is leaking fluid excessively and will be 850.00 to replace. That I know is total BS as i had a break line leak repaired on thursday last week. Both the flex hoses coming from the ABS unit to the back breaks were leaking and were replaced. Everything else checked out OK.

I am i wrong for being highly suspicious and feeling like i am being raked over the coals here? If I had a car hauler, my butt would be taking it down there and brining it to my local guy right now.

Sorry for so long a post, i am just a little PO'd at the moment.

Thanks much for your comments.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKFL03
I was hoping I got get a little help. Well for the last 2 weeks I have been having to put a 1/4-1/8 qt of oil in a week. This weekend I cleaned the pan up to see if I could find the leak. After I cleaned it I let it sit for the whole day. And there was no sign of the leak. I drove her on Sunday and return home a parked it overnight, Today on the garage floor is more oil???? I climb under it to see where shes leaking and i cant tell where it is? I got pics after I cleaned it and again today, I was helping someone could point me in a direction? Thanks Again for your time
I am not sure if you were trying to start a new thread or what but I am confused as to the post.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HickeyNC
So I just heard from the dealer. They are telling me that its transmission fluid leaking out and that the transmission pump is bad and the rear main seal is broken.

When i asked the guy on the phone how he could tell the pump was bad if he didnt drop the transmission he said he was trusting what his tec said. He also told me his tech found metal shavings in the fluid.

When i asked him how he found shavings in the fluid if he didnt drop the pan or transmission, he hemmed and hawed for a second and said that they saw the shavings in the fluid that dropped.

He can get me a USED transmission installed for 3269.45 out the door. BUT that dosent guarantee any issues that come up when they drop the transmission and drop the rear main seal.

ALSO, he says my brake master cylinder is leaking fluid excessively and will be 850.00 to replace. That I know is total BS as i had a break line leak repaired on thursday last week. Both the flex hoses coming from the ABS unit to the back breaks were leaking and were replaced. Everything else checked out OK.

I am i wrong for being highly suspicious and feeling like i am being raked over the coals here? If I had a car hauler, my butt would be taking it down there and brining it to my local guy right now.

Sorry for so long a post, i am just a little PO'd at the moment.

Thanks much for your comments.
I would be suspicious, you are far a way and they are just planning on you getting the work done since it is there and you are out of town. If I were you I would get a hauler or contact a transport company to get it for you. I had this done with one of mine and it was $250. I contacted an independent Rover shop and he gave me the name of the transport guy that does it for him from auctions, we set it up and days later my Rover was back at my house. Best money ever spent and saved for that matter.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your insurance might cover part of the haul as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by handsome rob
I would be suspicious, you are far a way and they are just planning on you getting the work done since it is there and you are out of town. If I were you I would get a hauler or contact a transport company to get it for you. I had this done with one of mine and it was $250. I contacted an independent Rover shop and he gave me the name of the transport guy that does it for him from auctions, we set it up and days later my Rover was back at my house. Best money ever spent and saved for that matter.
Funny you say that. I called my local guy and he said "Sounds about right for a dealership". He is trying to arrange something for me and i suspect the hauler is what he is going to do. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Winching

Sucks man. I am in Charlotte. Not far from Columbia (about 90 miles). Let me know if you need any help.

Get it home. First priority. Then you can at least get a good nights sleep.

Last edited by sloan74; 03-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.