Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco let me down today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco let me down today...

I came home for lunch and when I went to leave the truck turned over but would not start. I have never had any problems like this and since I did the full 60K a couple months ago it has run well. I disconnected the battery for 20 min, reconnected it and it started right up. I drove through town for about 10 more min, ran fine, and coasting at about 30 MPH it turned off and SES light on. I pushed it into a parking space, went to a meeting, came out 15 min later and it still wouldn't start. Waited a few more min, as I was about to call a tow it started right up. I had to make one stop on the way home, truck ran great. As I was turning on to my street she died again and wouldn't restart. I got a buddy to come tow me a couple blocks home. I just went to start the truck after it has been sitting for a while and it fired up great with no lights on. I will try to talk the Advance guy into letting me take the scanner and see if there are any stored codes. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump is going/gone. I am stuck riding my motorcycle until I fix this which even in SC is cold so any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need a new crank sensor.
When it gets hot it stops working, it cools off and it works again.

3o'clock position looking at the engine.
Replace it, $70 DIY job.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI CPS fail a lot in other vehicles besides rovers so its not just a rover problem.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Drifting

my 2000 done same thing and it was crank sensor. Not to bad to fix. Just a pain to get to.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Mudding

where in columbia are you? I'm stationed up in jacksonville right now, but come down on weekends to visit family and friends; and it be cool to meet up with another disco owner. I'm in the irmo area, near lake murray blvd and harbison.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup crank positioning sensor, got mine at advanced for 60 something dollars. I actually cut a piece of my fender well and bent it forward and it was a breeze to replace. When I was done just bent it back and no worries since.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Overlanding

Ok, CPS it is. You all are lifesavers, thanks so much for the quick replies. I will be heading to the parts store tomorrow and hopefully be back on the road in a day to two. Thanks again, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Herb: I live downtown Columbia near USC. If you are ever in town feel free to get in touch. I assume you are in the Navy, I spent 6 years in, mostly homeported in Pearl Harbor.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Mudding

I wish i was stationed in Jacksonville, FL. I'm not that lucky,lol. I'm in the usmc, so i'm in Jacksonville, NC.
I'm heading back up today, but i try to make it down twice a month on the weekends. I'll be sure to let you know when i'm in town again.

Last edited by herblatham; 02-16-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling

6 years, Pearl Harbor? You a nuke?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Overlanding

Yeah you caught me, I was a nuke mechanic on the USS Los Angeles (SSN-688). How bout you?

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with the crank sensor issue. None of the parts stores (Advance, Oreilly ect) could get the part for several days so I ended up getting it from the dealer for $110. I put it in and other than having trouble reaching the wiring harness to plug it in it was a pretty easy job. Truck runs fine now and hopefully I won't have to push it off the road again soon. The heated seats stopped working though... gotta love it!

Quick Reply: Disco let me down today...