Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Lugnuts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Lugnuts?

Ok guys whats the deal with these? Are you supposed to pop off the chrome cover, then take em off? or are they one piece? Looks like my discos po took a impact to em already, I haven't tried taking em off yet, but I would just like to know before I mess with em. Also i read up on em, but why won't universal acorn lug nuts fit on these wheels, because of the wide awkward taper?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling

No they come off together but if the outside chrome cover strips off you have to rip it off with mr goodpliers and then take off the stud.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shadill
Ok guys whats the deal with these? Are you supposed to pop off the chrome cover, then take em off? or are they one piece? Looks like my discos po took a impact to em already, I haven't tried taking em off yet, but I would just like to know before I mess with em. Also i read up on em, but why won't universal acorn lug nuts fit on these wheels, because of the wide awkward taper?
I happen to have a brand new set of 20 lugnuts for sale, if interested let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling

I meant nut not stud guess im watching too much internet **** lately

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is what you need to do...get a 1/2" drive 6 POINT socket, 1" 1/16" if I remember correctly.
Spray the lug with a lube, like Liquid Wrench, take a small hammer and pound the socket onto the lug, loosen then lug, now take your hammer and pound the socket off of the lug nut.
This will take you all day to do all four wheels.

Then the next time anybody removes the wheels tell them to use your socket and a torque wrench NOT a impact wrench.
The tire shop will pitch a HUGE bitch about having to do "extra" work but 'uck em', it's your truck and your money, they will do what you want or you will take your business elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

got my 6 point socket at sears, worked fine. I now keep it in the truck with my ratchet and torque wrench

dont remember the cost but I think it was 7 or 8 bucks however 12 kinda sounds like it might be right too so I am sure it was one of those 3 prices!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, don't take the covers off. If you do you'll have a weird size lug that no socket will fit just right..ask me how I know my rover came with most missing. Also, I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove lugs, you'll mess up your torque wrench..take them off with a breaker bar and put them back ON with a torque wrench.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
no, don't take the covers off. If you do you'll have a weird size lug that no socket will fit just right..ask me how I know my rover came with most missing. Also, I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove lugs, you'll mess up your torque wrench..take them off with a breaker bar and put them back ON with a torque wrench.
Thank you for the correction, yes, I meant to use a torque wrench to put them on not off.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The stainless covers shouldn't just 'pop' off. Mine are crimped over at the base rather tight. They would have to be rough-housed really hard to just 'fall' off from what I can tell. Now, GM truck lugnut covers ...well that's a different thing, they fall off just looking at them cross-eyed!

Note: Go easy on them, they are about $13.00 each to replace! Of course, each one ways 1/2 a lb...

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all the insight guys, I was hesitant to ask, I thought it was some what of a dumb question, but I needed to know and couldn't find a concrete answer with the search

Quick Reply: Disco Lugnuts?