Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Mike Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Disco Mike Coolant Question

Though at 160, getting the head rebuilt while off isn't a bad idea since the guides will be worn and the rockers a bit loose and that's a failure point on these engines. It does should like you've got an intake manifold leak though, if you're not seeing any in the oil or exhaust that's the 70%-80% cause, could be the heads of course but it's less likely.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem, high milage (160,000) ...I've changed out all of the hoses, intake / valley gaskets and can't find the leak still. I do smell the sweet anti-freeze smell, no signs of coolant in the oil. From what I can see it iscoming out of the back of the engine on the pasanger side and dripping on the exhaust. Does this sound like a head gasket leak?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Need to go have a coolant pressure test performed and the leak will show up.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to locate a leak in our 2001 SE7. I finally purchased a pressure tester and found what appears to be 3 leaks. I'll need to put it up in the air to locate them for sure. They are tough to trace because the coolant drips from one location, runs down a hose or whatever and comes out somewhere else. The 3 places are first definitely the radiator which we suspected. It will have to be replaced. Second on the left side ahead ofthe front exhaust manifold bolt. I would guess the water pump or throttle body. Third on the left side again but back behind the last exhaust manifold gasket. This third one may be just be the same source as the second and just dripping off the engine farther back. At least now I can replace the rad knowing for sure that is at least part of the problem. It really is tough to find out exactly where the coolant is leaking even with a tester. At least with the tester it keeps dripping and dripping giving you the time to locate the leak. Tom.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dingdingding! ajh gets a cookie. My leakis the lower intake gasket. To find it, my mechanic had to remove the upper plenum from the intake manifold to be able to see it leaking under pressure. About 7hrs labor r/r. I've asked him to r/r the v/c gaskets and ignition wires while he's in there.

Coolness! This leaves me $ to have the brake fluid changed and the tranny serviced and maybe I'll even buy 3 wheel center caps and replace the front marker light that's 1/2 full (or half empty, your choice) of water yet still works! then Bilsteins and new belt and new tensioner and idler pulleys and viscous fan clutch and and and 8-)

Old 12-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scatterbrain- do not replace the lights that fill with water. Instead drill a 1/32 hole in the lower edge. Has worked perfect for me for years with no sign of cracking from the drilled hole. Just a thought a way to save a buck

Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why are you having some one bleed your brakes and service the tranny???
These are two of the easiest things to do out on your drive way and save your self just under $200 in labor.