Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco a real rover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco a real rover?

have any of you all ever heard Land Rover purists or die hards say that the Discovery is "No real Rover". Was talking to a guy who owns a defender, and a few Land Cruisers, who was saying that Disco's are full of problems and unreliable cars. I told him, I personally thought they were great looking rigs. Just wondering if you all have gotten something like that before from people... sheeshhhh I say! Haha

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No I have not heard any such nonsense.
If a Disco is not a "real" Land Rover then why was it the most popular vehicle used in the Camel Trophy?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well I wouldn't say that discos are FULL of problems but they do have there share, unreliable I disagree big time (in fact I would say more reliable than half of the junk most manufacturers are making today) and as far as them not being "real" rovers, I say they are more of a rover than a land cruiser (not to put down land cruiser I think they are great) since it is a Toyota. Now is a defender better than a land rover? maybe but each model of rovers offers there own advantages and disadvantages.

I bought my Disco cause I thought it looked nice and I couldn't afford a $90K range rover!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Right on Spike a better point than mine!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wouldnt call the disco anything other then a kick *** rig.

what i would call that defender owner is ignorant.

2 rigs for 2 different purposes

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I wrong, or are NAS D90's basically a Disco with different sheetmetal? As for the landcruiser, cant say anything. I almost bought one instead of my disco, had factory lockers,whole 9 yards. Then i drove it. Bought the Disco.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I guess some people think it's a bit soft in standard trim, but like you guys said, it has a specific set of criteria to fill and not just the off-road prowess kind.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the first I've ever heard a rover owner day a DISCO is not a "real" land rover... Now, all of us crack on the freelander, because its kind of a softy land rover, but a disco?? I think they are a part of the equation that made the Land Rover company legendary. Defenders are awesome too, but I dont understand where that guy is coming from... maybe his ex-wife drives a disco?

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
Now is a defender better than a land rover? maybe but each model of rovers offers there own advantages and disadvantages.

Chris I'm assuming you just mis-typed there, but A defender is a Land Rover.

Last edited by Camdisco24; 08-14-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i know is i've never heard of a similarly-equipped Defender leaving a Disco in the dust.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Alrover
have any of you all ever heard Land Rover purists or die hards say that the Discovery is "No real Rover". Was talking to a guy who owns a defender, and a few Land Cruisers, who was saying that Disco's are full of problems and unreliable cars. I told him, I personally thought they were great looking rigs. Just wondering if you all have gotten something like that before from people... sheeshhhh I say! Haha
Shows what your friend knows about Disco's. Have him trailer his Defender out here to Colorado and lets see how long it takes him to cry "UNCLE".

Quick Reply: Disco a real rover?