Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco a real rover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
Am I wrong, or are NAS D90's basically a Disco with different sheetmetal? As for the landcruiser, cant say anything. I almost bought one instead of my disco, had factory lockers,whole 9 yards. Then i drove it. Bought the Disco.
The Defender and the DI are basically the same truck.
Same running gear, different skin.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I DISAGREE with you also,,,

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The largest difference between the Defender and the Disco is the approach/departure angles in my opinion. Honestly, the SD trim Discos were almost as basic as a Defender. Would I like to have a Defender? HELL YEAH! Would I want to drive one everyday as I currently do my Disco? HELL NO! Personally, I defend calling my Disco a "truck" all the time. People around here are like "it doesn't have a bed, it ain't a truck". My response is that the full frame under my Disco will put the frame under your truck to shame, so yeah, it's a truck. Never had to defend the "realness" of being a Land Rover though. What a ******.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think some defender owners have an elitist attitude because they paid $20K for their used defender..big deal..I bet a $1,500 D1 is just as capable.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Personally I think Discoveries are pretty ugly. I'd never have bought one if my then wife hadn't refused to let the kids ride in my Series Rovers.
But they are quite capable, almost as much so as a Defender. And yes, the Discovery is basically a different body on a D90 chassis, with another 8" added to make high centering easier.

As for purists, the general opinion is that SIII's aren't "real" land rovers because you can't open a beer bottle on the dash.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oysterhead
all i know is i've never heard of a similarly-equipped Defender leaving a Disco in the dust.
LOL. Ask people who've owned both. A defender starts life as capable as the "extreme" modded Disco's. You need a very serious trail Disco to hang with the guys who are offroading their D90's (NOT the same crowd as the poser D90's with the factory aluminum brush bar). Also I don't know if you've ever taken a Disco body off vs. a D90 body, but they are pretty different beasts. No Defender owner would say the two are basically the same truck. BTW I paid the same amount for my first Disco as my Defender, so it's not an elite thing.

I think you'll get a pretty different answer to that quote at D-90.com. BTW most D90 owners I know wouldn't think the Disco isn't a real Land Rover.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The Defender and the DI are basically the same truck.
Same running gear, different skin.
Pretty much so, that and 1000 #'s lighter with a shorter frame.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets talk about wheelbase. Short wheelbase 4x4s (under 100") are good for mild to moderated off-roading but dangerous when attempting very steep rocky inclines. I've seen plenty of short wheelbase 4x4s roll over or come very close to rolling over.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
LOL. Ask people who've owned both. A defender starts life as capable as the "extreme" modded Disco's. You need a very serious trail Disco to hang with the guys who are offroading their D90's (NOT the same crowd as the poser D90's with the factory aluminum brush bar). Also I don't know if you've ever taken a Disco body off vs. a D90 body, but they are pretty different beasts. No Defender owner would say the two are basically the same truck. BTW I paid the same amount for my first Disco as my Defender, so it's not an elite thing.

I think you'll get a pretty different answer to that quote at D-90.com. BTW most D90 owners I know wouldn't think the Disco isn't a real Land Rover.
You don't offroad much do you?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
Also I don't know if you've ever taken a Disco body off vs. a D90 body, but they are pretty different beasts. No Defender owner would say the two are basically the same truck.
The entire drive train and suspension, except for the propshafts due to length, are pretty much interchangeable between a D90 and a D1.

Quick Reply: Disco a real rover?