Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco redesign

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skatelove303
x2 on the diesel for US, And also i wish they would have put the spare under the truck somehow... I think it would have looked better without any spare on the back door.
Hmmm, thats a first. I love the way the spare looks on the back.

I would change the front bumper and use less plastic on it. Thats the only part of my disco showing its age is the plastic. Same with the plastic over the wheel arches.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disco 2 design, 2003-2004 headlamps, toyota engine, electricals and CDL. From the factory with 2 inch lift and 265/75-16 tires with gears and driveline and brakes to match.

But then again, such a vehicle would have held value to a point where most people here still wouldn't be able to afford one !!!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Rock Crawling

1. Thirded on the diesels.

2. Remove all electronics mounted on the floor to a higher location. Also get rid of carpet entirely and replace with vinyl to better accomodate the occasional foray into deep water.

3. Engineer more reliable ABS modulators and WXYZ switches.

4. Double check the machining on engine block to oil pump mating surfaces.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the looks of the spare on the door also. With a factory alloy wheel to match the rest of the wheels on the truck it looks really good. D2s came from the factory with a 5th alloy wheel, D1s had a steel spare.

A 3-door utility version of the Discovery, powered by a diesel of course, would be awesome. Eliminate all the rear side windows (except for the Alpine windows) and make the floor in the back flat all the way up to the back of the front seats.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I also agree with Diesel. make it the 3.0L from mercedes that is found in the Diesel Grand cherokee. Powerfull, quiet and relatively cheap on fuel.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I like the looks of the spare on the door also. With a factory alloy wheel to match the rest of the wheels on the truck it looks really good. D2s came from the factory with a 5th alloy wheel, D1s had a steel spare.

A 3-door utility version of the Discovery, powered by a diesel of course, would be awesome. Eliminate all the rear side windows (except for the Alpine windows) and make the floor in the back flat all the way up to the back of the front seats.
They did that in both the D1 and D2, but the D2 was still 5 doors.

Someone mention diesels ?? (sorry could not resist :P )

Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I love this thread!! Here's my top 10:

1) How about make the windshield 2" TALLER.
2) I agree with move the rear wheel 6" further back
3) A driver's seat that goes back further ...and goes lower for a better seating position
4) Make Tranny fluid changing easier
5) Better headliner material (but other car companies have this issue)
6) Quick release anti-roll bar disconnects
7) Move the clock on D1's to a readable location ...make larger
8) Add dash-mount inclinometer, Tilt meter and compass (like Monteros once had)
9) Add electronic module for fuel economy/outside air temp/trip mileage
10) Next size larger diam tire/wheel (on D1's)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man, you guys are missing what is perfect about the Disco.
The spare tire is on the rear door for accessibility, try being buried up to the bumpers in mud and pulling out your spare from under the truck to use it as a ground anchor.
With it on the back, take it off the truck, bury it in the ground, hook up your winch cable and pull yourself out.

The wheelbase is perfect, to long and you high center to easily, to short and you get a rough ride.

The TD5 is so clean that it did not need a catalytic converter to meet UK emissions, but the had to add one anyway because the law says so.
Americans just dont want diesels, so they dont even try.
Go to the mall, ask the first 5 people you see if they would buy a car with a diesel, 6 of them will say no.

The V8 has tons of torque and lots of rotational mass, which is what you want when off roading.

The DI has a very touchy throttle up to half open, then it gets longer like a normal car, they did this for off roading finesse, small inputs on the throttle give you lots of reponse, perfect for off roading.

They use a all gear driveline, very strong and very reliable.

They use aluminum body panels to save weight and they keep all of the weight of the truck down low inside the frame to help it keep from tipping over.
Coil springs give a better ride than leaf springs.

Land Rover took their 50 years of off roading and improved upon it year after year.
Then BMW took over and tried to make money by making it more appealing to the average Joe and his wife.
Rather than a off road utility vehicle with luxury they made a luxury vehicle with off road and utility.

I would not change a thing about my truck, but then again I have a DI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

Last edited by Spike555; 11-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make the sparkplug wires easier to change.

Willie

Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't really change anything, except for maybe having an option to have a Cummings 5.9 diesel motor. Those motors are all ballz and so easy to work on. It would probably be too heavy though..or turn it into a Defender .

Why don't they sell some of those snazzy Defender models in the states? I was looking at some on Ebay France, my god they are so beautiful.

Quick Reply: Disco redesign