Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco vs. landcruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco vs. landcruiser

i spoke w a friend recently who has owned both a Disco 2 and a 00 Landcruiser. I explained to him my fascination w/ the Disco's and he shard his experiences. He too admits there is no other truck out there that looks as intriguing/pretty as the disco, but as many of you admit, it is a truck that needs heavy maintenance. The landcruiser seems to be like most toyotas, just start it and go. And it too is a proven off roader, correct? Are looks really the only upside to a Disco vs. Landcruiser? I figured you guys would have some insights into this. I have begun to have second thoughts.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Drifting

i agree the landcruisers are awesome trucks .. but i wouldnt want a 00 i would have bought a 1996-1998 landcruiser and i would only buy one of those if it has lockers (front rear and center) the land cruisers are more reliable and easier to work on but they too have their own head gasket problems and they have a overheating problems on the trails .. many guys ditch the fan clutch and add a electric fan to help the problem ... so i think its a crap shoot as to what car is better (i am a toyota guy but i still love my Disco )

Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Land Cruisers have their issues just like Rovers. Both cruisers and rovers are incredible off road vehicles. Cruisers have the advantage of being offered from the factory with front and rear electronic lockers as well as the CDL. Any vehicle that is used off road is going to require more maintenance than a vehicle that stay on road. Both vehicles are heavy and slightly underpowered.

Looking at this from a financial standpoint, a well equipped Cruiser is going to cost roughly twice what a comparable Disco will. And genuine Toyota parts are made of gold just like Rover parts.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

People talk about the reliability of Toyotas and say they are sooo great. I have over 170K on my 97 Disco and she has NEVER left me stranded anywhere. She started all by herself one time, but that was fixed in 20 minutes.

I am a freak when it comes to maintenance, so I probably do a little more than what is needed. Do what the book calls for and you will be fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, in a way I've kind-of got both myself! My LX is essentially just a really well-equipped Landcruiser. They're both fantastic trucks, I intend to someday replace the LX with another LX and I don't think I'll ever not own a LR.

If I could have only one? It would just depend. I'd hate to have to make that choice! The LX is much roomier inside and has far superior manners on-road. The Disco inspires more confidence off-road, and seems to have a slight edge there. There are things I've done with/in my Disco that I'd never drive the LX into, and that's only partly because the LX is the wife's daily driver! LOL

The LX is much bigger inside, and as a result it feels much bigger outside. It doesn't drive like a tank or anything like that, don't get me wrong, but it does feel like it'd be harder to navigate a tight trail in it. The "command seating" of the Disco is much better for driving off-road.

For all of their similarities, they are very different beasts.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildhorse1966
i agree the landcruisers are awesome trucks .. but i wouldnt want a 00 i would have bought a 1996-1998 landcruiser and i would only buy one of those if it has lockers (front rear and center) the land cruisers are more reliable and easier to work on but they too have their own head gasket problems and they have a overheating problems on the trails .. many guys ditch the fan clutch and add a electric fan to help the problem ... so i think its a crap shoot as to what car is better (i am a toyota guy but i still love my Disco )

The 1998 Landcruiser is the same as the 2000 Landcruiser (and on through 2007). 1998 was the first year for the redesigned truck as both Landcruiser and LX 470. The 1993-1997 Landcruiser platform had a 4.5L SOHC 6-cylinder engine, whereas the 1998-2007 truck got the 4.7L DOHC V8. I've been enormously pleased with the V8 in my truck. It's not particularly fast (faster than my Disco though), but it's a powerful engine and has required nothing more than scheduled maintenance now for upwards of 170k miles!

Both trucks are great, just don't buy a Jeep and you'll be fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Both trucks are great, just don't buy a Jeep and you'll be fine.
haha thats a good point.

The only thing I will add is, the LR community is very close and there are clubs and events all over the place. Im not sure about the toyota crowd, but I dont seem to hear about them as much doing events and such. Im sure there are a few Yota clubs out there, but LR clubs are EVERYWHERE. Also, IMO, the disco just cant be touched when it comes to looks. But either way, you'll be getting a well respected truck when it comes to on and off road.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have both, a 99 discovery I, 95,000 miles, and a 99 Land Cruiser, 175,000 miles. Depending on what you are going to use it for may make a difference on what you want to buy. The LC is worth $11 to 13k, the LR is worth $4k. As for the LC, I have done regular maintenance along with one O2 sensor $100, a replacement antenna mast $40, and I replaced the parking brake cable $60. As for the Discovery.......Water pump $200, radiator recore $600, seat switch rebuild (free), front crank seal $120, oil cooler lines $100, stlll need to do a transmission cooler line for another $50. I have never worrried about getting stuck in the Toyota, I worry every time I get in the Discovery . Like them both, if I had to pick one, the Toyota hands down, it is a great vehicle. Phil

Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
I have never worrried about getting stuck in the Toyota, I worry every time I get in the Discovery .
Do you off road?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

If the Discovery didn't exist, and seeing how I can't afford a D110, I would have aimed for a Landcruiser. I have always liked the Landcruisers, but I have always loved the Discovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_cr...2.80.931998.29

Nothing after the 80-series though....

Quick Reply: disco vs. landcruiser