Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which disco year to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Which disco year to buy?

Okay so this will be my first Disco. Can someone tell me which model year i should look for and what to look for when checking out the car? Anything regarding past service i should look for in a car fax?

This is the one i am considering!
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Thanks!!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Maintenance records are important unless it's real cheap and you don't mind putting time into it, watch out for the serial numbers on the 2003 theres a bunch to stay away from (vin's affected here http://www.landroverclubvi.com/oil-gauge.html) Whatever you buy your on the right forum, lot's of knowledge, lots of tech help and some poking fun too! Read discomikes sticky on the 60k service, and preform it on whatever you buy no matter the mileage or what the owner says has recently been done....as I believe spike said " it wasn't done unless you did it" or something to that effect.....

Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Overlanding

thanks for the advice. My budget is 4500.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Drifting

1999 to 2001 no older, no newer! They're inexpensive and they still have all the fun stuff on them. Get a series 2....

Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Overlanding

So I am settling on one. The dealer reports it needs a ABS pump, idile control mod and a mass air flow sensor. Are those common issues for a 2000 with 116k miles. How much should I expect to pay on labor to replace those? Is it drivable in case I want to wait on those repairs??

Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveable? I guess it means how driveable....I would say no. ABS pump used about $250, new MAF sensor $150 from roverguy.com, and $100 for the ICM. As for labor costs, it depends on what type of shop you rely on....if you have a good independent, then plan on $300 (give or take). But all of those things should be done before it's driven very much. I would think if a "dealer" has this truck for sale, then he's just trying to move it quickly "as-is" and probably stole it for cheap on trade-in, as the previous owner did not want to deal with the issues.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Babysdisco
So I am settling on one. The dealer reports it needs a ABS pump, idile control mod and a mass air flow sensor. Are those common issues for a 2000 with 116k miles. How much should I expect to pay on labor to replace those? Is it drivable in case I want to wait on those repairs??
If it needs the ABS pump because of the 3 amigos there is a DIY on how to take care of this without a new pump. You can try cleaning the idle valve with carb cleaner then spray a little WD-40 in it to lubricate it. I've gotten an extra 2-3 years out of idle valves in the past with this band-aid repair just keep in mind that it isn't a permanent fix and will need to be replaced at some point. You can also try cleaning the MAF too with a MAF cleaner that you can buy and almost any auto part store. Also depending on what fault they are getting it may not be a MAF problem at all, could be a cracked intake tube like my 99 D2 had when I first got it.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Definitely get a series two, like the other guys said. Don't be in a hurry, take your time and look at a lot of them. You can basically see everything that you are getting into by looking through the forum, just keep in mind that they are completely worth it once you get the small things corrected. Good luck in your search

Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for your responses! So they told me its the Three Amigos! How much does that cost to repair??? Can I drive it this way??

Quick Reply: Which disco year to buy?