Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco2 purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco2 purchase advice

Hello
I would like to jump and purchase a disco2, even most people do not recommend this car (especially in Qatar). But I would love to get one and I am quite aware of the involvement that the car requires.
As mentioned, I live actually in Qatar, prices for disco 2 are quite low. I found a 2004 model with 240k km on the clock. I did not take it to inspection yet (i'll do it within the week).
The owner did a lot of work on the car, he said there is one problem, I'll quote him: "The car is running, but running rough and I don't have time and patience to fix it. Can be fixed".
Here is my question, is it serious problem, I tried to investigate but could not find much? any advice?
Thank you

Old 11-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Having gone through something similar and being a noob when it comes to mechanical issues, I would caution against buying something that is running rough. That said, read my thread and if you are still interested after you read it, then I say go for it.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rebuild-93541/

Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

It could also be that it simply needs new spark plugs and ignition wires, and maybe ignition coils. "Running rough" isn't enough information to diagnose the problem or to advise you. If you can, get the trouble codes read and let us know what you find.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

If you are good with turning wrenches and using a Land Rover specific diagnostic tester like a Nanocom Evolution it can be done yourself. If not, I remember when I lived in Doha, Qatar there were plenty of garages there to do engine tune ups as @mln01 mentioned to do.
Keep in mind... these Discoverys can be never ending money pits. You can buy one for $2000, put $5000 worth of parts into it and sell it for $1850. True story from a guy I know.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:19 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Having gone through something similar and being a noob when it comes to mechanical issues, I would caution against buying something that is running rough. That said, read my thread and if you are still interested after you read it, then I say go for it.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rebuild-93541/
I planned anyway to take the car for inspection before purchase. Thank you for your input, I'll ask the inspection guy to make sure.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:23 AM
5th Gear

I'll go for deep inspection of the car, and thanks for the advice, I know that it can be a pits as you said. But I think that the most important is the fun you get. Resell value is not important to me. or else I would for Toyota

jastutte (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by salim
I'll go for deep inspection of the car, and thanks for the advice, I know that it can be a pits as you said. But I think that the most important is the fun you get. Resell value is not important to me. or else I would for Toyota
Agreed! I spent a lot more money than I had hoped/planned to spend but it has been fun (and frustrating). I had no mechanical ability before I started - I have a little bit now and its fun finding and diagnosing the little issues that come up.

I think the point I was trying to make is that the range of issues on these things can be from a few hundred bucks to multiple thousands. If I had to do it over I would have thoroughly checked the following before purchasing:
  1. How does the coolant look? Anyone put stopleak in it?
  2. Any mentionable oil leaks?
  3. Use a
    cheap borescope camera cheap borescope camera
    to check out the cylinders.
Just a noob's 2 cents.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Running rough is probably bad ignition coils or wires, the worst case would be a bad/worn cylinder. It can happen if an owner drives it with a blown hg for a long time. Get the trouble codes pulled and report back here. Would be a good idea to do compression test, an oil pressure test, and a coolant chemical test (looking for exhaust gases in the coolant). The total cost of all the testers will be less than $100, and you will easily save that much by avoiding a bad purchase. Youtube videos will show you how to test, and all test will take less than 30 minutes.

salim (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 AM
5th Gear

Thank you for the feedback, I'm checking the car today. and probably take it for inspection, I'll highlight your comments to my inspector.
I'll update after the inspection.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:02 PM
5th Gear

Hello Guys
Quick update regarding my purchase.
I finally dropped that Disco 2, it had too many problems: engine not running well, exhaust pipe completely rusted, heavy leak in the gearbox.
However in the meantime, I did my homework, and found another one 2004 model with 160k km, 2" lift, and very clean. run very smoothly and with some service and repair history. I like the car.
BUT, it happened that I found also a Jeep XJ 2001 in perfect condition (the owner really loves his car), I must say i'm quite tempted.
I know that this is LR forum, but if anyone his opinion, that would be helpful. here are some parameters to help me (if you can):
1- I'm in Qatar (parts for both brands is not that available- maybe slightly easier for the Jeep)
2- the Car will be used for daily run, and of course playing in the desert during week-end (no long trips planned so far)
3- It is a family car (children will be on board)
4- Not that much DIY maintenance because lacking of space.

Brief update: a new option popped out, a 2005 LR3 200k km clean and well maintained (but with 19" rim)

If any one can help me with this I would appreciate, I'll take cars for inspection by the end of the week. But considering what I've seen so far and the owners, I doubt that there will be major issues (on this, I have to give one bonus point to the Jeep owner & LR3 owner, more careful about their cars)

Brief update: a new option popped out, a 2005 LR3 200k km clean and well maintained (but with 19" rim)

Thank you for help

Last edited by salim; 11-24-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Disco2 purchase advice