Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco2 Purge Valve Canister

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Disco2 Purge Valve Canister

As you all know, word-of-mouth has given fame to the Hyundai model purge canister valve as the go-to replacement for the OEM BOsch, as LR retailers and even wholesalers charge an absolute premium for the OEM which can be as expensive as 250-$350!!! From my experience, it is hit-or-miss with the Hyundai part numbers as they are like using a cheap knock-off for the MAF sensor or O2 sensors, instead of the BOsch-made; you have a 50 percent chance of an aftermarket part working seamlessly with the BOsch system as the Motronic is just that sensitive. if you are currently in the market for a new purge valve, skip the Hyundai-compatible and save yourself unwanted hassle and go to this link where you will find the OEM BOsch at an even cheaper price than the Hyundai. It would have saved me 2 months of frustration and 3 seperate ordeals of part exchanges.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

For new Disco2 owners who have tried a new gas cap and are still getting a check-engine light and fault code P0441, this part in the subject should be your next logical replacement in the resolution of your 2003-04 model, should you not find any leaks with a smoke test if performing a proper diagnosis. The part in the link is the same in the picture that Atlantic British would try and sell you for $350 but with the 2 hoses attached. Odds are 99 percent that it is not the hose or connection, but the valve itself is stuck. You can repair or replace your current hoses and fittings for under $5.

Attached Thumbnails Disco2 Purge Valve Canister-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by chubbs878:
JUKE179r (11-26-2019), LADisco2 (12-27-2020)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Wow, that's a steal!I wonder how they get the Bosch units that cheap?

In my experience, the Hyundai unit isn't hit or miss at all, but the Dorman part with the Hyundai part number is. Thats suprising you've had such bad luck out of OEM Hyundai.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yeah I've never had a problem with a genuine OEM Hyundai Purge Control Valve. I just installed one as a matter of fact onto my Kalahari because the OEM hose behind the Purge Control Valve was about to fall apart so I replaced all the hose, used 4 nice SS clamps, thicker fuel injector hose, and while I was at it I slapped on a new Hyundai Purge Control Valve just so I wouldn't have to mess with it again.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

I have tried both the Dorman and the Hyundai version. No luck with the Dorman version bouts a few years from Napa. Have been going with the Hyundai version purchased for around $35. I would certainly get the original Bosch version at the great price shown in the above link.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never have any luck with Dorman. Not too long ago I ordered a Dorman electric radiator cooling fan almost identical to the original one from Volvo for $100 and the thing vibrated more than the engine itself. I returned it and decided to fork over the $300 for the original Volvo one made by Siemens.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I put the poem Hyundai valve on my truck last September and have the 441 right now, thanks for posting the link.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Soundguru, You got it. I had the Dorman 1st and exchanged it for another. Exchanged the 2nd one for the next most expensive manufacturer. Ended up trading that 1 in for the one from Hyundai and then had a second one of those that finally worked 99 percent of the time. I came across the BOsch and had to pass it on so that somebody else wouldn't have to go through that mess

The following users liked this post:
thesoundguru (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Soundguru, You got it. I had the Dorman 1st and exchanged it for another. Exchanged the 2nd one for the next most expensive manufacturer. Ended up trading that 1 in for the one from Hyundai and then had a second one of those that finally worked 99 percent of the time. I came across the BOsch and had to pass it on so that somebody else wouldn't have to go through that mess
Yeah I didn't realize what a lame company Hyundai is to deal with though. Their warranty policy states they will only warranty a part if they are the ones to install it, so the dealership refused to warranty the bad one. I wouldn't put a dorman part on my truck if they gave it to me for free. So I am probably going to go ahead and order one of these this week.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chubbs878
As you all know, word-of-mouth has given fame to the Hyundai model purge canister valve as the go-to replacement for the OEM BOsch, as LR retailers and even wholesalers charge an absolute premium for the OEM which can be as expensive as 250-$350!!! From my experience, it is hit-or-miss with the Hyundai part numbers as they are like using a cheap knock-off for the MAF sensor or O2 sensors, instead of the BOsch-made; you have a 50 percent chance of an aftermarket part working seamlessly with the BOsch system as the Motronic is just that sensitive. if you are currently in the market for a new purge valve, skip the Hyundai-compatible and save yourself unwanted hassle and go to this link where you will find the OEM BOsch at an even cheaper price than the Hyundai. It would have saved me 2 months of frustration and 3 seperate ordeals of part exchanges.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

For new Disco2 owners who have tried a new gas cap and are still getting a check-engine light and fault code P0441, this part in the subject should be your next logical replacement in the resolution of your 2003-04 model, should you not find any leaks with a smoke test if performing a proper diagnosis. The part in the link is the same in the picture that Atlantic British would try and sell you for $350 but with the 2 hoses attached. Odds are 99 percent that it is not the hose or connection, but the valve itself is stuck. You can repair or replace your current hoses and fittings for under $5.

is the still a good part number? When I check the application it tells me that it doesn’t fit a 2004 Discovery

Old 07-09-2020, 04:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Here are purge valve part numbers off of my Disco 2 part list cheat sheet:
  • EVAP Fuel Emissions Purge Valve - #28910-22040 / BMW #11747537612 / #WTV100140A / WTV100150 for 98-05 Hyundai Kia, Sante Fe & Sonata; Bosch part 0280142310, 0280142308 0280142300 *make sure it’s mounted horizontal

The following users liked this post:
glopez2k (07-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Disco2 Purge Valve Canister