Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting emmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting emmissions

I have a 95 Discovery with a 3.9. Has anyone disconnected the emissions equipment for one of these….O2…..MAF ….and such? If so does it have a negative effect on mileage? I thought I saw an older posting with someone that had done this but, could not find it when I went back and did a search. Any info would be appreciated.

Anthony

Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Disconnecting emmissions

"WHY" would you want to do something like that, lets forget for a moment that it is against both the State and Federal laws and can't not be resold with out them?
Mike

Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the O2 sensor and the MAF sensor out of the loop the ECM would not know
how much fuel it inject.

It would run very poorly.

Most of the power killers left us in the late 80's, but the smog pump did return in the
Disco II.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny…I forgot that I posted this on both the Land Rover and Land Rover only site… I had almost the same reaction from both sites….that it was stupid to ask and/or that it was against state and federal laws…funny thing is I am from Texas and caring about what the Feds or especially the State of Mass thinks is not the foremost on my mind……please don’t take offence, it’s just that I have owned farms for years and if I listened to all the federal regulations I would have lost the farm long ago.

All that being what it is, the really issue is that the LR will not run well by doing any of my hair brained schemes and I appreciate the feedback to that affect.

I just bought this truck and I love it, I had a Discovery 2 years ago and loved it more than any truck I have owned(I lost it and most of my fortune after 9/11) in Dallas and have wanted one every since and I really wanted another one.

I bought this one for 400 bucks off of Craigslist. The guy I bought it from had replaced the CATS on it and the Y exhaust pipe as well. He told me when I bought it that the wiring harness needed to be replaced because water had leaked into the truck while sitting for sale for 10 months.

I looked very carefully at the harness and realized that there was nothing wrong with the harness. The tail lights were out…that took me replacing the bulbs in the rear lights as well as one fuse that the shop manual referred to as the right side markers (though it is apparent to me that the markers also impacted the rear right of the vehicle) That took care of that issue.

Here are the issues I am having as of now with the truck:

I have had to bypass the ignition switch to get the truck to start. There nothing wrong with the starter but I am using a lead off the battery to the starter relay to start the truck….any advise on this would be appreciated.

When the truck is running the sun roof will start to open without pushing any buttons. (I have removed the fuse at present to disable it)

I cannot remember what switch activates the door locks. (There was no manual and it has been to long since my last one to remember witch one it is.)

When the truck first starts up it runs excellent but, after it warms up when I pull up to a intersection it I will sometimes have to keep the engine revved up a little or it will die…this does not happen all the time just some times.(The engine check light is always on)

I am going to take it to a dealer and get the codes read on it. I do have money to invest in it but I would really like to take care of as much of the issues as possible.

Mike…Thank you for your feed back, it is appreciated and any insight to my issues will be as well.

Anthony

Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't go to the dealer for the codes, go to Auto Zone or who ever is around you, they will usually read them for free.
Once you get all the code numbers get back to us with the exact numbers and lets ee if we can help you thru this.
Mike