Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco's getting a bad habit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not checked the fuel pressure. It never died completely. No, I have not changed the filter. Doesn't seem like it could be the problem, but it sure wouldn't hurt to change it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
My fuel pump is from AutoZone.
All they sell are Airtex fuel pumps for Disco's.
Airtex is one of the best brands pumps you can buy.

Ok, I just know of 2 people that used the one that also crosses with a Tahoe, and the pressure was too high and burned injectors.... These are local trucks I have seen...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Drifting

I've forgot to mention, since this has been happening the alarm and key frob have acted funny. Now when I unlock the truck, the outside lights don't flash. Sometimes the frob just doesn't work. This is what really lead me thinking it was the alarm spider. Only problem is...there is no alarm spider. Is there any other type of alarm immobilizer or anything of the sort that could be causing this?

Last edited by CatRover; 01-19-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would isolate the alarm problem first. It could very well be the cause. As for the fuel pump, I replaced mine a few months ago (pressure was too low) and got the best deal at Atlantic British (less than $400.00) Half an hour job because some screws were rusted.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Drifting

I'm also running a few codes.

P1193 - manufacturer control fuel air metering
P0138 - o2 sensor circuit high volts (bank 1 sensor 2)
P1317 - manufacturer control ignition system or misfire

Hopefully these help.

When it died today, I made sure to check the fuel pressure while cranking over and it seemed to have plenty. It's starting to stall more often, and not start back up as soon.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Changed the fuel filter, no effect. I am starting to think it's a fuel issue, because when it dies and I check the pressure just with a key pressing on the valve, it does little more than dribble out. When I try and start it right after it's stalled, it stumbles and is trying to start like it's not getting enough fuel. After sitting for a bit, time which seems like has been getting longer and longer, it starts right up and runs perfect. I havn't noticed any differences in power, mpg, anything like that. Is there maybe some kind of relay that could be causing the fuel pump to shut off periodically? I'd like to cross other options off the list before putting a new fuel pump in it.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, now we are talking. I had a similar problem. the car was running fine, except sometimes having problems to start. (It would actually start but at very low RPM and would not accelerate for a while.) I got a fuel pressure meter from Autozone and my fuel pressure was way lower that the specs. Got a new fuel pump and O2 sensors and that problem was gone as well as the CEL warning.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Changed the pump today with no effect. Still has the exact same issues. I can hear this pump run, as where I couldn't the previous one. I can now tell that the pump shuts off when the truck dies, and does not come back on for a bit.

Is there a relay somewhere I should check? All fuses are okay, as those were the first things I checked.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CatRover
Changed the pump today with no effect. Still has the exact same issues. I can hear this pump run, as where I couldn't the previous one. I can now tell that the pump shuts off when the truck dies, and does not come back on for a bit.

Is there a relay somewhere I should check? All fuses are okay, as those were the first things I checked.
If you were saying that your key fob and alarm have been acting up, it's a fair chance that it's your alarm (and subsequent immobilizer) that is raising all of this hell. Engine immobilisers usually kill the key, the fuel injectors and spark, but a malfunctioning system could just be killing the spark/fuel and not the key.

Next time it happens, check for spark.

Also, I know a guy who sells good used parts. I'll PM you my email. Shoot me a message if you need good parts, and I'll talk to my guy and see what he has.
Aaron

Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

isolate the alarm probs first. Sounds like you have a bad battery in your fob....
HANDSET LOW BATTERY WARNING
When the handset batteries are low, the Theft Alarm
Unit (Z163) will enter the “low battery mode”. The
Theft Alarm LED will flash to indicate “low battery
mode”, and the hazard lamps will not flash when the
alarm is disarmed.

Quick Reply: Disco's getting a bad habit...