Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 1 vs Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $.01...

I'm not sure of your situation, but before I bought any Disco I'd make sure that I had a good running primary car first.

Once that's taken care of, I'd start looking for a hobby ride.

If you're counting on a new to you Discovery being your primary means of transport until you get the bugs ironed out, you could risk a disappointing experience.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha this debate should be its own section.

D1. Closer relative to the Defender, less on-roady front bumper, more parts to be found in salvage yards, and what did it for me- available with a manual transmission.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
My $.01...

I'm not sure of your situation, but before I bought any Disco I'd make sure that I had a good running primary car first.

Once that's taken care of, I'd start looking for a hobby ride.

If you're counting on a new to you Discovery being your primary means of transport until you get the bugs ironed out, you could risk a disappointing experience.

I can see where you're coming from... but, aside from fuel (they are wicked thirsty) i haven't really been paying that much more to keep my Disco running right as I imagine I would for any other 13 year-old car I use extensively and and paid less than $5,000 for.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by apcollin
I can see where you're coming from... but, aside from fuel (they are wicked thirsty) i haven't really been paying that much more to keep my Disco running right as I imagine I would for any other 13 year-old car I use extensively and and paid less than $5,000 for.
I agree, my DI is the 2nd most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
In almost 3 yrs I have spent less than $2000 in unexpected repairs.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog01
Hope johnny 5 didnt hear that Ed. Go for the DII.Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!I looked at and researched both before I purchased both and the DII was my choice.Just do your research and ask ?'s on the forum and you'll do ok. Good luck either way.
i would buy another D2 in a heart beat.... but with such a limited budget he will be better off with a higher mileage D1. IMO. either way he will need money for maintenace.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm very mechanical and would be doing my own work. I've built my own engines from the ground up, done engine swaps and conversions and have about $20K worth of tools since I used to be a full time mechanic. Plus the shop I currently work at can get rover parts from one of our suppliers. I found a '99 1/2 disco II with only 82K miles I'm going to look at tomorrow, dark grey with jump seats, just wish it had a brush guard.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by apcollin
haha this debate should be its own section.

D1. Closer relative to the Defender, less on-roady front bumper, more parts to be found in salvage yards, and what did it for me- available with a manual transmission.
bingo