Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 - 2004 - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 04:11 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2 - 2004 - No Start

Good Afternoon,

Upon reinstalling my fuel tank and attempting to start engine, it fired and ran for a few seconds before sputtering and stalling. Not too surprising since the fuel line was disconnected. Another similar but shorter duration startup followed. What was surprising is that it now refuses to fire at all. I have been troubleshooting for a while now and have gathered the following information:

Fuel pump seems to be activating as there is pressure in the line if I disconnect it and there is voltage at the plug when the engine is cranking.

Spark plugs are sparking.

OBD2 indicates ECU is reading ~200 RPM when cranking.

Spark plug is dry when it is removed.

So it would seem that the injectors are not being allowed to activate. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has heard of an issue like this before. Any help would be appreciated!

-Michael

Old 10-03-2021, 05:12 PM
TReK
Received 491 Likes on 426 Posts

Did you reset the inertia switch? You probably tripped it for safety before you started the job.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

My first thought was inertia switch, too.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

CPS shuts off the injectors, no reason it should be bad with your repair, but just worth mentioning.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:35 PM
8th Gear

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I forgot to mention that did try to reset the inertia switch, which did not change anything. Additionally, wouldn't the hazard lights be activated if the inertia switch was activated?

Regarding the CPS; is it correct to assume that since I can read the engine RPM from the ECU via OBD2, the CPS is functioning properly?

I should also mention that after cranking the engine for a couple seconds, three beeps are heard, just like when the center differential is locked. And four lights flash on the instrument panel - I believe it's the Hill Descent Control, Traction Control, and two other amber lights.

I also read somewhere that the Cam Position Sensor could cause this symptom and that disconnecting it may free up the injectors. This had no effect.

- Michael

Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Cam sensor never goes bad. You can squirt gas in the intake and if it fires you have something shutting off the injectors. You can doublecheck the fuel pressure, could even pull the upper intake if you want and pull the injectors out of the manifold if you want

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:33 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@Rovered I can second the camshaft sensor I drove 300 Km home with mine tossing it only code, turned out to a loose retaining bolt and connector to much washboard. Ran like crap, default timing and fueling but it ran.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:24 AM
8th Gear

I see, so we can probably rule out the Cam sensor with reasonable confidence.

One thing I did try since last night was that I unplugged the inertia switch, this immediately caused the 4-way hazards to activate. What was puzzling to me was that I could not deactivate the hazards by pressing the top of the IS. Could this indicate a failure in this switch? Also I remembered that I got a code for P1590 - Rough road sensor fault a few weeks ago, not having returned since I recorded it and cleared it; could this be related to the inertia switch?

Thank you

Old 10-04-2021, 08:55 AM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

P1590 is often a wheel sensor issue.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:11 AM
8th Gear

Thanks mollusc, sounds like I might have another project once I get it running again...

Does anyone know if there's a way I can temporarily bypass the inertia switch just to confirm or eliminate that as a potential cause?

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 - 2004 - No Start