Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discovery 2

Dear Brothers,what’s the best Bars leek head and block sealant to use there’s so many?Iam thinking on doing this until I have the time and money to do it right.Iam Really straped for cash and time thank you

Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

3 bottles of Blue Devil.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Dear sir,do I add the bottles into the resivuoir with water and idle for 50 minutes then drain out the water then add coolant?Is that the correct way or what do you recommend also they make a small and large bottles which one?Could you do a step bye step for me I would really appreciate it thank you the motor is completely dry I just put a new water pump and thermostat

Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM
TReK

It’s quite a process. You can use the old thermostat back since you need water instead of coolant. Was your system overheated prior to this? You also need to bypass the heater core in the process.
You will need a fluid hand pump as well. You need to pump the devil into tee. You need a gauge to see temp realtime, there might ne some overheating cycles during the process until the the crack is filled. Im not sure if this will work for you but it worked for mine. Over 20k miles since the procedure.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

First post here but I've used this product on a Mini and found MANY good reviews.
Just something to consider, but I imagine there is a general consensus here on which product to use for the LR...
What sold me on this is HOW is works vs some of the others will clog over time..

8 Cyl. Land Rover Dura-Seal® Head & Gasket Kit

Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Dear sir,Yes it over heated and steam was coming from under the hood.I shut it off and let it cool overnight.The next day it fired right up.I shut it off and drained the oil and water was in the oil.so I assumed that it was head gaskets where blown so Iam going to do what you said 3 bottles of blue devil is that the small bottle or the big bottles? I have hand pump and the T you are referring is on top of the hoses we’re they connected there’s a screw in the center on top of the radiator srowed correct that’s were I pump the sealant,and I can bypass the heater core .where do I place the temperature gauge?while the engine is idly?after I idle it for 50 mins or so I drain the entire system and add coolant correct?Then drive it What 20 mins or so then shut it down and check the oil for water correct?thanks

Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM
TReK

Well, 3 bottles will cost you about close to replacing the head gaskets. Your choice and yes its the T that connects 3 hoses top behind radiator. The forum people have lots of experience in replacing head gasket which is not that difficult.
The bottom line, the liquid could work or not depending how large the gap is. If you dont have a scanner, and basing it to the temperature needle, you have to reach 3/4 around and about 230-235 degrees and shut off. It takes lots of these cycle to patch it. Dont use the reservoir since the chemical cakes up. You have to pour it to the fastest stream where the coolant flows. Use your old thermostat. It might cake up your new thermostat. Once the temperature decreases, drain water a bit then add Green Coolant concentrate not 50/50.
Like what I said, it works in my fix while waiting for the new engine to arrive that time. But until now the Disco still runs well and driven it off road so many times last summer. The new engine still waiting for transplant until now. But the patched engine still works and still amazed me. Cant remember the link or the name of tread but its somewhere here and I will try to locate it. My case was a cracked block and taking in coolant in cylinder #6 which started to overheat in few minutes upon start.

Last edited by LR03NJ; 10-17-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Thanks a million,Iam doing it in a week waiting on check,I doing this for now and when May comes around again I’ll do a complete head and gasket job this is just temporary thanks for letting me know how.Yours truly

Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
3 bottles of Blue Devil.
I've heard good things about this stuff.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Dear sir I hate to bother but I don’t know where to find the temperature needle?and you said I have to reach 3/4 ways around?And what kind of temperature gauge are you talking about and how long do I wait till I turn it back on after I reach that temperature to Start the next interval?

Quick Reply: Discovery 2