Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018 | 09:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mike53
Dear sir I hate to bother but I don’t know where to find the temperature needle?and you said I have to reach 3/4 ways around?And what kind of temperature gauge are you talking about and how long do I wait till I turn it back on after I reach that temperature to Start the next interval?
I believe he is talking about the temp gauge on the instrument cluster in the dash.

Old 10-17-2018 | 10:00 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Dear sir,Thanks for that what is a scanner and we’re do I get one?Iam guessing that you hook the scanner to the temperature gauge needle to get the right temperature readings correct?Thank you almost understand process except for this.Thank you

Old 10-17-2018 | 10:34 PM
Mudding

A scanner plugs into the computer and can give you a more accurate temperature reading than the stock temp gauge on the dash.

if you don't have a scanner like the "ultragauge" then you can still use the stock temp gauge on the dash.

I believe he is telling you to watch the stock gauge on the dash, and when it gets to the 3/4 point shut it off.

Not to be rude but these are some basic terms that you should probably know if you are going to be working on your vehicle. You don't want to make things worse and cost you more money down the road. Good luck

Old 10-17-2018 | 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling

I wouldn't put any type of "stop leak" in any engine. Ever. Period. That garbage causes more problems than it fixes. Find the leak, fix the issue and move on.

Old 10-17-2018 | 11:43 PM
TReK

You are 100% correct Twix, However, the original poster mentioned in the beginning what he wanted. I believe the direction we are heading here is what he wanted to do and he is aware of the consequences of this fix.
I had a bit of experience using this fix and it worked before my new replacement engine arrived. My disco is still going no matter how hard I abuse it on highway and off road with heavy loads. I have a bunch of discos
where I replaced all the head gaskets because its needed. This particular fix is sometimes needed depending on the situation especially time and money as mentioned earlier. Cheers

Old 10-18-2018 | 12:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Mike53
Dear sir I hate to bother but I don’t know where to find the temperature needle?and you said I have to reach 3/4 ways around?And what kind of temperature gauge are you talking about and how long do I wait till I turn it back on after I reach that temperature to Start the next interval?
Intervals, If the overheating is bad, it will take only less than 10 minutes for the temp to rise. Better do it when the ambient temperature is cooler. It will take more time for the fix to circulate in the system before it starts to overheat. Do not open the reservoir cap coz it will boil out and you will loose some of the fix in the system. You can wait for a while until it cools down a bit and slowly open the cap to release some air or the valve on the Tee. Add fix again by removing the valve on the tee and pour the liquid or water directly to the opening. This will let air out as you fill it with more liquid. Do not install the heater core tubing or your new thermostat yet. If the fix worked, you have to drive at least over a thousand miles before you install the heater core tube back and also clean your reservoir in the process and use green coolant concentrate to displace some of the water in the system. cheers

Old 10-18-2018 | 05:41 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2

Brother,s thanks for all of the input thank you very much!!!!Yes I don’t feel good about adding sealer to my motor I really want to do it right.Ive done a top end gasket set on another Discovery it’s not hard just time consuming and that’s really what Iam up against is time I don’t have the spare time I could work on it a couple a hours a day till Iam done wich is not out of the question.My worries don’t stop there I just don’t know how bad the damage is.I can get a refurbished set of heads for 500.00 if mine are warped,No problem but I have the delima of what I the block is cracked will I would have to pull it and ship it to a machine shop.Then I could buy a 4.0 out of a wreaked Discovery with 137.000 and just swap motors because mine has a 137.000 on it so I have all of These options but don’t know wich is the right one ?Truly I could do any of them.If you Brothers where in my shoes what option would you go with Honestly and why? Need help on making the right decision.Like to hear you all’s professional oppions please.Thanks Brothers Yours truly