Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 Premium gas penalty vs Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DI's do require premium gas.
I never let my truck get below 1/2 tank, I can fill it for under $50, I just filled it today, just like I do every Friday, $50.05, gas was $3.98 a gal.
Seriously, top off your gas tank when it reaches 3/4 since you dont drive it much.
I drive mine everyday, I drive no faster than 65mph.
As for the deepest darkest Africa...diesel, they all have diesels.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't have 93 here but right now my fuel is at $3.79 per gallon and we have price shopper grocery stores if you shop there and say spend $200 dollars you can get points on your card $200 dollars = .20 cents off per gallon at quick trip gas stations so that's what i do every week so once a week i fill my D II up at $3.59 per gallon of 91 octane fuel I am a satisfied customer! More money you spend at grocery store more money you save per gallon it is pretty cool that they work this way here! 300 =.30 & 400 = .40 and so on you can really make out good here.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-12-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

I have a Speedway Rewards card, you earn points for every gal of gas you buy, 25,000 points gets you a $25 gas card.
I fill my work van there everyday, min 25 gals of gas, every day, thats 1250 points a week at the minimum and I'm not the one paying for the gas, so its all good for me.
I have been buying my gas at Costco for the last 4 months, on average $.02 cheaper per gal.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I have a Speedway Rewards card, you earn points for every gal of gas you buy, 25,000 points gets you a $25 gas card.
I fill my work van there everyday, min 25 gals of gas, every day, thats 1250 points a week at the minimum and I'm not the one paying for the gas, so its all good for me.
I have been buying my gas at Costco for the last 4 months, on average $.02 cheaper per gal.
The Costco Amex card will give you 3% cash back on gas (on up to $4k annually) as opposed to the 2% back (20 points per $1) on your Speedway card. That's a 50% greater reward unless I'm missing something.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Discosomewhat
The Costco Amex card will give you 3% cash back on gas (on up to $4k annually) as opposed to the 2% back (20 points per $1) on your Speedway card. That's a 50% greater reward unless I'm missing something.
The Speedy Card is not a credit card, it is a points card only and you earn points on everything you buy, even pop, food, gift cards, anything they sell you earn points on.
The will offer bonus points on certain items too, for example, buy 2 Pepsi 20oz and get a extra 300 points.
Buy 6 fountain drinks get the 7th free.
I use the company credit card to pay for my fuel for the van, swipe my Seedy Card, swipe my AMEX, pump fuel, the pumps shut off at $100 so I have to swipe my card twice every 2 days or else pay inside, I hate paying inside.
I dont buy enough gas in my personal vehicles for it to matter with the Costco AMEX card.
Thank you for the info though, I did not know how their rewards worked.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, what's this about ruining the fuel pump by letting the tank get too low? Never heard that before.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
Hello, what's this about ruining the fuel pump by letting the tank get too low? Never heard that before.

This is common in all vehicles koch, what happens is that when you get low on fuel you have a better chance of sucking up sediments off the bottom of the tank. Sediments build up from years of dirty fuel being put in the tank. The sediments can get sucked up and clog up or ruin the pump and its never good to run a pump dry it can also do damage. This disco will be one of the easier vehicles to change a fuel pump on when it comes time!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
This is common in all vehicles koch, what happens is that when you get low on fuel you have a better chance of sucking up sediments off the bottom of the tank. Sediments build up from years of dirty fuel being put in the tank. The sediments can get sucked up and clog up or ruin the pump and its never good to run a pump dry it can also do damage. This disco will be one of the easier vehicles to change a fuel pump on when it comes time!
The fuel pump ALWAYS sucks from the bottom on the gas tank, so any sediment will be sucked up even with a full tank.
The pump is submerged in fuel, the fuel keeps the pump cool.
Continually running the fuel pump without enough fuel to keep the pump cool will shorten its life because as we all know electric motors get hot when they run.
Heat kills electric motors as well as electronics.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike555
The fuel pump ALWAYS sucks from the bottom on the gas tank, so any sediment will be sucked up even with a full tank.
The pump is submerged in fuel, the fuel keeps the pump cool.
Continually running the fuel pump without enough fuel to keep the pump cool will shorten its life because as we all know electric motors get hot when they run.
Heat kills electric motors as well as electronics.

Phil, you are always correct fuel is the only thing that lubricates and cools the pump. I think a combination of both of our posts is the reason for failure. The sediments tend to settle towards the front of the tank ie the lowest point. When you are at low fuel the sediments get sloshed around more then when tank has fuel in it. This would cause the sediments to pass by the sock or screen and have the most chance of getting sucked in.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Phil, you are always correct fuel is the only thing that lubricates and cools the pump. I think a combination of both of our posts is the reason for failure. The sediments tend to settle towards the front of the tank ie the lowest point. When you are at low fuel the sediments get sloshed around more then when tank has fuel in it. This would cause the sediments to pass by the sock or screen and have the most chance of getting sucked in.
Good points, all. On a related note, I'm having strange problems with the fuel sensor. But that's going to be another thread...

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 Premium gas penalty vs Discovery I