Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery crossroad.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
I too would stay away from the 4.6L. Get a 99-early 01 and get a CDL linkage. That 4.0 is much more reliable than the 4.6.

Probably cheaper to buy the earlier models and I think they look more rugged. The other bonus is, the early models have glass headlamps, which, don't fog and turn crappy.
Agreed, and found myself looking at those model years today.

Thanks.

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Come on down I'll buy you a beer

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yeah the only 4.6L I really trust were the older 4.6L's found in the P38 RR from 99-02.

I like the more D1 look of the 99-02 D2's myself. I have tried 3 sets of headlights on my 04 and every single pair fogs up........ I think they look nice, but functionality wise they SUCK...

LR also had better quality control in 99-02 IMHO as they were trying to push the D2. In 03-04 it was the end of the road for the old school D2 and the LR3 was coming out so I think LR just wanted em off the assembly line ASAP to make the switch to the LR3 production.

The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

As a woman, "Do whatever you want to do" is not a good sign.
"That's not a bad idea.."
"I was thinking the same thing.."
are much better responses. She may be fatigued at your hobbies having priorities over hers. Been there, wait, there now.
Still waiting for my turn. HG still not done, 2.5 mos now...

The following 2 users liked this post by Lisa Bunch:
dgi 07 (01-02-2018), The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Would it not make more sense to go for the shorter wheelbase D1 as the platform for a trail only rig? That way you could keep your D2 for daily driving duties and then build up a new purpose built truck.

The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Brian, we all hit the crossroads at some stage, some of us later than others but it comes to us all. I had a penchant for motorsport and fast road cars, now I just have a penchant for big slow 4x4's and at heading up 73 this year I need some inspiration before I get snatched from this world. You see mostly older guys driving fast cars, but slowly, Porches, Ferrari's etc, they are reliving their youth that they couldn't afford back then but at the end of the day it's all about material nightmares, wasted money and rarely comfort, I just like my comforts now, give me a comfortable truck any day

The Deputy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
As a woman, "Do whatever you want to do" is not a good sign.
"That's not a bad idea.."
"I was thinking the same thing.."
are much better responses. She may be fatigued at your hobbies having priorities over hers. Been there, wait, there now.
Still waiting for my turn. HG still not done, 2.5 mos now...
As a man, "Do whatever you want to do" means exactly that...lol. We are not complex enough to read into things, understand double meanings or figuring out innuendos. Thankfully, we only understand what we hear...lol.

Just joking around. She means what she says, if she didn't think it was something I should do or was stupid or would harm our relationship...she'd say so. We rarely hid behind double meanings. Plus, I'm the only one within fifty miles of this place that can keep her rover up and running...so, she has to be nice to me (there I go again, just joking). She has her hobbies (four legged one) and we share responsibilities for keeping them balanced and she is the most wonderful woman on the planet.

Anyhow, thank you for your advice. A women's prespective is always warrented.

Now, go give your husband a boot in the butt and tell him to get those head gaskets done or else...no dinner for a month. That would get my attention, for sure.

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Would it not make more sense to go for the shorter wheelbase D1 as the platform for a trail only rig? That way you could keep your D2 for daily driving duties and then build up a new purpose built truck.
Yeah, just got done looking over a 99 Dl online. Pretty darn sweet, better approach angles, simplistic engine and an absolute cool factor. My problem with going that direction would be...I'm kind of already committed to the 01 as a trail rig. The rig is pretty nasty, so bad, that I usually give my dogs a bath "after" they've been inside. And if the doors got caved in or smashed or it got totaled...it wouldn't bother me in the least.

So, with that being said...I'm kind of leaning towards something I could be proud of or travel in solo with some creature comforts...while towing the old nappy one or overlanding/camping.

Appreciate all of the input folks!

Brian.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Brian, we all hit the crossroads at some stage, some of us later than others but it comes to us all. I had a penchant for motorsport and fast road cars, now I just have a penchant for big slow 4x4's and at heading up 73 this year I need some inspiration before I get snatched from this world. You see mostly older guys driving fast cars, but slowly, Porches, Ferrari's etc, they are reliving their youth that they couldn't afford back then but at the end of the day it's all about material nightmares, wasted money and rarely comfort, I just like my comforts now, give me a comfortable truck any day
Yep, I hear what you're saying.

Lisa kind of touched on something earlier, wife approval rating. Which is one of the reasons I'm considering doing this. She really doesn't like the car that would go bye-bye. Some of our best days are while we are out riding around the countrysides dirt roads, looking at old homes, barns, animals, nature, etc, etc. The car doesn't allow us to travel these routes, basically, hog-tying us to the black top.

Thank you, for your input. Sage advice is always welcome.

Brian.