Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery I V8 to TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery I V8 to TDI

Hi there im new here and I have decided I would like to buy a rover and I figured this would be the place to ask some questions. Let me first describe my situation. I would like to buy a 94' - 98' disco I the problem is my budget if low (3-4k) and millage is a big issue. Up here in Canada all the Discovery's I have seen advertised have the 3.9 or 4L V8 witch i cant afford to run but i have a friend thats importing used TDI diesels from England (>150k, for around $1500 most of them from the 90s). I was thinking of buying a disco with the gas V8 with around 200 000 that i can get for around 2000 here and swapping in the TDI (the engines are out of discovery's, or at least land rovers). My question is what kind of condition is the rest of the car at that kind of millage and what would i need to change to put the diesel in? IS this worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks alot.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Discovery II V8 to TDI

you can get so much gas for the many thousands it will cost to covert to diesel. i personally dont see the conversion as a way to save money. also, all 94-99 discos are series 1. series 2 models 99.5-04.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 AM
4wd Low

thx for the info. Did the discovery's not come with the diesel option though? If the engine is out of a disco and im puting it into one other than the cost of the engine how do u figure it will cost so much?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

they came with a 300tdi in the rest of the world. the labor takes a long time and fine tuning takes even longer. there are also a lot of other parts that need to get changed out too. ive read about a few diesel conversions and the cost was $8000+

Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
4wd Low

oh ok. Its just that i have a friend that has a disco with a 4l and it get 15 Mpg and i thought that I could save money buy getting one with a finnished or high millage engine and swaping it out. I am fairly good machanicaly, does anyone have segestions on if I do just use the gas engine on how to improve millage?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Putting a Rover diesel into a another Rover wont be that big of a deal, they use the same transmission, t-case and axles. The problem is the ECU and the fuel system. The extra weight of the engine and adding a intercooler if it is a turbo diesel.
The diesel doesnt use a electric fuel pump like the gas does so you need to change the fuel system.
You need heavy duty springs on the front axle.
You need a different ECU.
You also need a different exhaust system.
You would be looking at, with the used engine, $3,000-$4,000 US. That buys alot of gas. Even at $5.00 CA per gal.
If you still want to know what to look for, just ask and we will help you.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you take care of it, put in good o2 sensors, change the oil on time, and do and induction cleaning or two, it will be in tip top shape and if you do that most people on average will get from 14-16 city, and 18-20 hwy. On my last trip I get 20 MPG on average. It also depends on your driving style, if you have a lead foot, the worse milage you will get. If you drive 100% city, obviously your mileage will be worse than if you did half city half hwy.

If you do the conversion it will take forever to pay off what it costs just to run premium gas. You might as well go put that money on a gas card and roll with it. With any SUV dont expect to get good milage, thats like asking the sky not to be blue.

After a while you will love your disco so much the gas costs wont be AS big of deal.... sort of.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:08 PM
4wd Low

Great thanks a bunch for all the help I would be totally lost with out it. Im going to speak to the guy who is importing the engines (a super land rover freak has like 20) and see what he thinks. I was under the impression that the V8 got 12mpg no matter what you did. I am still in high school so when ever I go on a big trip I take people with me so I will make them pitch in for gas lol. Oh and can you select ether AWD, FWD or RWD for better economy? Regardless almost all driving I do is highway because I live in the country and part of the reason im getting a rover is because road conditions in the winter are often terrible and a 4WD vehicle would be great. 20MPG is good for a 4WD truck and it would be nice to have the power of the V8 under the hood.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Starting off with a used rover you will have to rehab it to get it to that condition. It can take up to a year sometimes but it will get there! Most rovers were neglected before sale so somethings will need fixing, so be prepared for that. And being in HS myself, people will want to pay to ride in the disco anyways! good luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No you cannot chose from AWD, 2WD, etc. Rovers areFULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, that means that all four wheel are getting power all the time, no way around it.
You are looking at real life MPG of 13-15 MPG.

Quick Reply: Discovery I V8 to TDI