Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery II Fog Lights

Hey everybody...I am trying to activate fog lights on a 2004 Discovery....mine is an "S" model so it did not come with the lights. I purchased the switch for the dashboard, the realy, the lights themselves, and the bumper pieces with the holes cut out. The switch on the dash plugs in fine and back light works when I turn on the headlights, but the fog lights still dont work...if there something else I have to do to make them work. I read something about having the dealer activate them--is that true? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Discovery II Fog Lights

Yes its true, The BCU needs to be told it has Fog loghts connected as that is what operates them. So unfortunatley its a seesion on Testbook at the stealer, or on somehting similar like Rovacom elswhere. Options that are programmed at the factory are below :-

Front fog lamps None........................ The vehicle is not fitted with front fog lamps.
Main .................................................. The front fog lamps will operate if the headlamps are on main
beam.
No main .............................................The front fog lamps will not operate if the headlamps are on main
beam.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the info! i figured I might end up at the dealer.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the information. I am having the same issue with modifying my 03 Disco. I will post the cost and part numbers when I complete the process.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 PM
7th Gear

I think the dealer is the only $$ I have to spend...

I bought the round fog lights for $100 on Ebay, got the relay for the engine compartment fusebox from Roverconnection.com $26, got the Front Fog Light Dashboard Switch from Atlantic British.com for $34.00...

I realized after getting the correct front switch that I had to take out the blank, and then switch the positions of the rear fog light from No 1 Left to Number 2 Left...The Front switch needs to be in No 1 position on the left side of the dash because the way the switch is designed. I then had to order a new rear fog switch....the OEM part for a Disco S model is longer and has a closed in top portion which keeps it from fitting in the second position on the left side. I ordered the part, but ended up up with the same part for the second time. I finally purchased the SE model rear fog switch for the No 2 position on ebay for $15.00.

As for the front trim on the bumper, the corners come off easy with a few screws and can be switched out with the corners with the fog lamp holes....Roverconnection.com looks like the cheapest place for these, but they only come primed. I have seen them on ebay but not in every color. I also realized that there are holes for front light washer jets....you can get the jets cheap and just stick them in....I have not yet tackled or tried to figure out the cost of activating the washer jets. When I took off the front corners i noticed that behind the Left Headlamp unit there is another plug available for the washer parts/pump.

Something else to think about is how yu can hold the fog lamps in the holes. From what i can tell you nee three metal clips that slide on and then the three screws that thread into them for each light. I have them held on with zip ties right now until I get the screws, and actually the zip ties are pretty tight and you dont see them under the bumper, but when I locate the screws and metal clips i will switch them out. Hope that helps!