Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II (Gas) Starting/Running Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery II (Gas) Starting/Running Issue

Hello all and happy Holidays,

So here is the situation: 2001 DII, SE, Gas engine.
I had a remote start put into the truck 2 weeks ago. Had to go back and get issue with the truck starting, but doors not relocking after start or after auto shut down. Installer fixed that issue in less than an hour.

NOW the real problem;
A.) I use remote to start truck...truck runs for predetermined time (15 minutes). Attempt to restart using remote...no start...use key to override auto start...no start. Wait between 15-20 minutes...truck starts.

B.) I use key to start truck...truck starts...drive several miles turn off...use key to start...no start...wait 15-20 minutes....truck starts.

C.) Truck starts...driving...come to stop light...begin to turn...truck stops running...no sputter, no hesitation, just stops (electrical?). Wait 20 minutes...truck starts.

D.) Truck parked. Use remote to keep truck running with key removed. Insert key, put into reverse move about 2 feet truck stops running and will not start. 15-20 minutes later...truck start.

While staring at the engine like I can will it to start, I start pulling and pushing on ground connections to see if any are loose. The main battery ground is loose (most likely from the auto start install). I tighten it. The battery is 6 months old. I am leaning in the direction of a relay fuse in the block under the hood. I notice that it clicks loud enough to hear with the cover in place.

Am I on the correct track or do one of my mutual love em hate em forum members have some other insights? I have the three amigos also, but have adopted them as a issue of the cosmos.

thanks in advance for your reply’s.

Jerry

Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Discovery II (Gas) Starting/Running Issue

Why did you install a remote start system and even more so, why the hell would you then let it sit and idle for 15 minutes. All you are doing infouling/carboning upo your engine.
Get rid of that system, you'll be a lot better off as will your truck.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 PM
5th Gear

Hi Mike,

To answer your question. I live in Alaska. Our winters are about 6 months. Right now it is -3 degrees at 4:45 pm where I live and that was the high. I used to just start he truck with the spare key and let it warm up, but that resulted in my 99 DII getting stolen and totaled on a joy ride.Therefore I choose to have aremote starter installed. If I lived in a nice warm place such you as do, I would not have a use for the remote start.

Being a retired service manager, do you have any insights about the sudden engine stop or any thoughts as to if any relays may be overheating?

Thanks, Jerry

Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Crazy, I saw my screen name and couldn't remember replying to this. What part of Alaska Jerry? I grew up in Fairbanks but I call Kenai home now even though I currently am living in Colorado. Hoping to transfer with my work back to Kenai in the spring.

I have to agree on how nice a remote start system is especially in the extremes. People in Colorado don't function in negative temperatures very well and the temps Alaska sees would shut them down completely. I don't like the idea of risking frostbite or having to get on coat, gloves, hat and boots just to walk outside and start the truck. The remote start I have on my Dodge is set to run for 10 minutes and that isn't enough time to move the temp gauge off cold here in North Dakota where I work. This place doesn't get as cold as Alaska but it is definitely colder than Colorado.

I was in Fairbanks back in the late 80's when the temps reached -72 in downtown. Anyone care to go out in that and start their vehicle? We had at least a month every winter where the temps would not rise above -40, even during the day. Nights would reach -50 or colder.

Sorry I don't really have any insight on your problem. Disco Mike is pretty much the guru around these parts and he'll steer you in the right direction. He doesn't like remote start system as I'm sure you already guessed but keeping it or getting rid of it is your decision. I don't know for sure but I highly doubt your remote start is causing the problem. You can try turning off your remote start, there should be a switch, and see if the problem persists.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Doesn't matter where you live, Rovers can't sit and cold idle, you'll trash the engine, I don't care how cold it is.
How about going to a block heater.
As for the sudden shut down, I don't know.
Take care.
By the way, it was -19 here last Sunday, we get some of your cold air also.
Mike

Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't want to sound argumentative but why is idling so much worse on a Rover than any other vehicle? I have never seen anywhere in the manual where it says not to idle over a certain amount of time. I am missing a few pages but I don't think that info would be in the pages I am missing which covers gauges and indicator lights.

When I got stuck in the blizzard in early November I had to let my vehicle idle quite a bit to keep it warm. Since then Jeff at JC's Rover has had the heads off my engine and didn't mention any problems. He didn't feel it necessary to replaces the plugs which I would think would be the first to foul during idling.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 PM
5th Gear

I don't even know what to say Mike.

I seek advice and assistance and you as a moderator of this forum; ridicule and lecture me instead of offering the experience of your many years to trouble shoot the issue.I foolishly had assumed that this forum was designed for sharing of experience, advice and assistance.

I could have just as well called Land Rover, Anchorage Service Department and been treated as poorly.

Happy Holidays Mate.

Jerry

Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can idle a fuel injected engine for as long as you want, when cold the engine runs rich to warm up the catalitic convertors, once they are warmed up the ECU leans the engine back out.
Before we bought our Volvo my wife idled our Rover for 45 min everyday waiting for my daughter to get out of school, we dont have bussing for her where we live.
No ill effects to our truck at all, other than wasted gas.

I am thinking it is a bad crank sesnor, very common problem on DII's. When it gets hot it kills the spark, cools off and the truck starts again. It has nothing to do with the remote starter, if you had installed it instead of a pro, then I would say maybe.
The crank sensor is a cheap part, I was told that AutoZone has it for $60. It is on the drivers side about half way down on the back of the engine.
Please let us know how you make out.
Good luck, and it was 38* and rain here in MI today, now 2 hours later it is 20* with a nice 25-30mph wind.

And I too was confused by having two AK Rovers.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Spike! I will investigate that sensor.

Wonderful Holidays to you and yours!

Jerry

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your welcome, now if I can only find a way to tell the two of you apart.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Quick Reply: Discovery II (Gas) Starting/Running Issue