Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008 | 09:46 AM
|
4wd Low
Default Discovery II No Spark

Hi all. This is my first Land Rover, not likely my last. 2001 Discovery ][ 4.0, 119,000 miles. Like the truck a bunch ( coming from a Jeep background ) but it has an issue, of late.

Three months ago started havingvery occasional morning "cranks, no start." The truck would then start after second or third attempt and be fine the rest of the day. This past week the problem is much more frequent. I've determined that I have no spark during these episodes. After reading some posts here I'm suspecting the Crank Sensor. One responder to another post suggested cycling the key to postion two three times then try a start but offers no explanation as to what one might expect from this procedure.

Any suggestions and clarification would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-29-2008 | 10:31 AM
Team Owner
Default RE: Discovery II No Spark

The reason for cycling the key like that is to "prime" the fuel system. Everytime you turn the key to position "II" the fuel pump comes on for about 5 seconds, if it is not holding pressure overnight then there is no fuel in the fuel system and some think that can cause a hard start.
I disagree, my Land Rover has sat for a month and starts right up on the first turn of the key and I dont believe it is holding PSI for a whole month.
How have you determaned that you have no spark? Did you remove a spark plug and then crank the engine over looking to see if the spark plug sparks?
90% of the time it is the crank sensor though.
www.atlanticbritish.com for everything your Rover needs.

Old 10-29-2008 | 11:26 AM
|
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply, and the explanation.

I've determined the "no spark" by way of a Sparky, fits between the spark plug and the wire. The Sparky lights up when you crank the engine and and it recieves a pulse. Pretty handy do-hicky.
I don't believe fuel pressure is the problem. When the truck finaly starts it doesn't act like it's "loaded up", but there is a smell of excess fuel at the tail pipe for a minute.
One more thing, when I'm cranking it and it fails to start the Service Engine Light does go out, another poster seemed to think that this information was important. Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2008 | 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Yes, the check engine light going out means that the ECU is not getting a signal from the crank sensor.
Replace the crank sensor.
You are smelling the excess fuel because the cam sensor is still injecting fuel into the cylinders, but with the bad crank sensor you are not getting spark to ignite the fuel.

Old 10-30-2008 | 11:06 AM
|
4wd Low

The local O'Riely Auto Parts store will have my new Crankshaft Position Sensor (55$) in one more day. I will post the results.

I have a friend with an OBD II, he wants to come scan my truck. I said thanks, but I am not sure it storing any codes since the Service Engine Soon light goes out as soon as the truck is started.

On a side note I made an interesting discovery ( no pun int. ) while looking at the Crank Sensor. I put my floor jack under the driver side front to assist getting my bulky *** under the truck. It was just after the left front tire cleared the groundI noticed that the Disco was now rolling forward on the slight decline! So, I set it back down and started wondering how a full time four wheel drive automatic set in Park can roll away whith three tires still on concrete? Yes, I would have set the brake if I knew that the previous owner used it and it wouldn't lock up on me. Parking brake goes on the short list.

Thanks, again. Will let ya'all know.

Old 10-30-2008 | 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Are you 100% sure it was in park? It will move alittle because of the slack in the driveline.
The parking brake is on the back of the transfer case, doesnt rust up like the ones that set the back brakes like on a "normal" car.

Old 11-01-2008 | 01:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Just to clear a few things up, crank sensor = fuel delivery, cam sensor = ignition control.

Old 11-03-2008 | 06:16 AM
|
4wd Low

Hehhehe. Wish I had read tacomatec's post yesterday. Thank you for posting. I replaced the Crank Sensor Sunday and drove 200 miles. Monday morning now, no spark! Guess I'm go'na look into the Cam Sensor.

Old 11-03-2008 | 06:01 PM
|
4wd Low

Ouch.
So far the only "Camshaft Position Sensors" I'm finding online are like $300.00! Please, please, please tell me I'm wrong!

Old 11-03-2008 | 06:07 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: indianadisco

Ouch.
So far the only "Camshaft Position Sensors" I'm finding online are like $300.00! Please, please, please tell me I'm wrong!
You are wrong.

Quick Reply: Discovery II No Spark