Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II stuck in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012 | 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm definitely curious as to why you're in 3rd with no check engine light, but the bulb definitely works. I've driven cars with 'winter' and other modes that would start you out in a higher gear to help avoid wheel slippage. Doubt the Disco does this but I suspect Mike knows.

Good luck...

Old 07-18-2012 | 03:55 PM
Administrator

No, Rover doesn't offer a snow gear selection as such, they depend on their traction control to maintain traction.

Old 07-19-2012 | 07:32 AM
Baja

under the storage bin in your console is a four pin connector with all orange wires. take that apart and clean all the connection, that is the last connection from the transsmission ECU to the tranny.
I had a bad connection on mine took me over a month and several trips to dealers and indepenents with no luck, before I found it.
I dont know if that is your problem, but it was mine.

Also I would not worry too much about damaging your torque conveter, like i said i drove mine for over a month put on 1500 miles in stop & go traffic and never had a problem, The tranny ECU automatically adjust the torque converter lockup rate when in safe mode. After finding my problem I dumped the tranny fliud and it still looked brand new.
In my quest for answers I found people that have been driving in safe mode for over a year because they could never find there problems and none of them report any converter problems.

Old 07-19-2012 | 07:45 AM
Administrator

That is a good idea, hadn't thought of that as a possible cause.

Old 07-19-2012 | 07:50 AM
Drifting

what about kickdown cable ??????? don't know much about it, just from reading over the years.

Old 07-19-2012 | 09:46 AM
|
4wd High

The problem returned today - still no check engine light. I'm definitely going to clean the connections as described by drowssap. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2012 | 10:07 AM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by drowssap
under the storage bin in your console is a four pin connector with all orange wires. take that apart and clean all the connection, that is the last connection from the transsmission ECU to the tranny.
I had a bad connection on mine took me over a month and several trips to dealers and indepenents with no luck, before I found it.
I dont know if that is your problem, but it was mine.

Also I would not worry too much about damaging your torque conveter, like i said i drove mine for over a month put on 1500 miles in stop & go traffic and never had a problem, The tranny ECU automatically adjust the torque converter lockup rate when in safe mode. After finding my problem I dumped the tranny fliud and it still looked brand new.
In my quest for answers I found people that have been driving in safe mode for over a year because they could never find there problems and none of them report any converter problems.
I couldn't find a four pin connector under the storage bin. Would you happen to have documentation describing where it is? Or even a picture?

Old 07-19-2012 | 10:16 AM
Baja

there should be a 4 pin connect coming out of the carpet between the seats?
do you have the console removed?

Old 07-20-2012 | 09:59 AM
|
4wd High

I haven't had a chance to remove the console yet, however i borrowed a obd scanner from a friend. i received the code P1562. After some research i found this explanation:

"P1562 indicates a battery supply problem to the transmission control unit or the engine control unit. I would first clean all battery grounds and feeds, check the battery conditioin then the alternator output, and then proceed to check the transmission control module connector for corroded pins aqnd connections and correct latching of the connector to the module. then the same procedure with the engine control module cleaning all connections with an electrical cleaner."

It sounds like the transmission control module connector is the same connector drowssap mentioned. I'm going to attempt the process this weekend.

Old 07-20-2012 | 10:29 AM
Baja

it is strange that you do not have a flashing "D" on the console or dash that is the ussual default warning you would get in safe mode. 8 out of 10 times it meens a dieing battery or weak ground, but those other 2 out 10 times are a bitch to find.

Quick Reply: Discovery II stuck in 3rd gear