Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery IIa Mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discovery IIa Mods.

I just picked up a 2003 Discovery IIa and I'm looking at doing a number of modifications.

Spent the last 3 days putting rust paint over all the underbody welds, seams, etc where rust was forming, hoping keeping this up as well as painting components as they're added to the vehicle will help prolong the long-term life of the components. I've already installed a 1000W inverter, and am looking at fitting a dual battery setup up front with possibly a 3rd accessory battery in the right rear void behind the axle. (or a water tank, haven't found a good one yet though)

My next upgrade is going to be suspension. Coming from dealing with Ohlins and other high-end race suspensions in the motorcycle world where control is everything having to deal with the slightly more complex interaction on an offroad vehicle brings up some questions. I'm finding the stock suspension to waffle a lot while driving, the rebound damping just doesn't seem to be up to the task for such a heavy vehicle. (I owned a 1997 Pathfinder was well and while I don't expect the same handling the amount of bounce is quite a bit more in the Disco) I'm not sure that I need any additional lift but I'm not against the idea as I do backcountry driving and driving on unplowed roads (ice climbing/mountaineering access)

So my few questions:

1. What suspension options are going to give me the tightest most controlled handling?

2. If I go with a 1.5" lift and HD suspension front and back is the handling going to be better or worse than stock once a set of OME shocks are fitted?

3. I've been told that doing any kind of modifications will require removal of the SLS Air Suspension in the back, is this true? is it even a worry or am I better off without it?

4. I want to add an ARB winch bumper as well. Anyone know how much heavier than stock they are? as well as a WARN XD9000 winch. Can anyone comment on the effect this much extra weight has on the overall handling characteristics of the vehicle? Is the additional weight noticable when accel/braking?

Once suspension and winch bumper are done I'm looking at a Hannibal Rack & Tent, and possibly a cargo area drawer system
and a pile of other upgrades. Will post about those when I'm done the current work. Off to get all the scratches touched up... not afraid of a few dings but I'd rather they be mine

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:28 PM
TReK
Default RE: Discovery IIa Mods.

Yes the air suspension will have to go.

I have the ARB bumper and the Warn winch and have the OME springs and shocks.
The heavy duty frt springs and light for the rear.
The ride is great, mine is stock height.
Braking was the same acceleration about the same, was noticeable going up hill, little slower.

The waffle ride that you talk about is from side to side and a little soft?
Most newer 4X4's use a bar for the front springs and it has a much harder ride off road
and gives a car like ride on road.

I would take it to a Dealer to get the front end alined this way they can see if everything
else is in good shape.

Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajh

I just picked up a 2003 Discovery IIa and I'm looking at doing a number of modifications.

Spent the last 3 days putting rust paint over all the underbody welds, seams, etc where rust was forming, hoping keeping this up as well as painting components as they're added to the vehicle will help prolong the long-term life of the components. I've already installed a 1000W inverter, and am looking at fitting a dual battery setup up front with possibly a 3rd accessory battery in the right rear void behind the axle. (or a water tank, haven't found a good one yet though)

My next upgrade is going to be suspension. Coming from dealing with Ohlins and other high-end race suspensions in the motorcycle world where control is everything having to deal with the slightly more complex interaction on an offroad vehicle brings up some questions. I'm finding the stock suspension to waffle a lot while driving, the rebound damping just doesn't seem to be up to the task for such a heavy vehicle. (I owned a 1997 Pathfinder was well and while I don't expect the same handling the amount of bounce is quite a bit more in the Disco) I'm not sure that I need any additional lift but I'm not against the idea as I do backcountry driving and driving on unplowed roads (ice climbing/mountaineering access)

So my few questions:

1. What suspension options are going to give me the tightest most controlled handling?

2. If I go with a 1.5" lift and HD suspension front and back is the handling going to be better or worse than stock once a set of OME shocks are fitted?

3. I've been told that doing any kind of modifications will require removal of the SLS Air Suspension in the back, is this true? is it even a worry or am I better off without it?

4. I want to add an ARB winch bumper as well. Anyone know how much heavier than stock they are? as well as a WARN XD9000 winch. Can anyone comment on the effect this much extra weight has on the overall handling characteristics of the vehicle? Is the additional weight noticable when accel/braking?

Once suspension and winch bumper are done I'm looking at a Hannibal Rack & Tent, and possibly a cargo area drawer system
and a pile of other upgrades. Will post about those when I'm done the current work. Off to get all the scratches touched up... not afraid of a few dings but I'd rather they be mine

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Slow down and do alot of research before you go to far.
Dual batterys are more then enough and will fit where the single factory battery is.
As for a lift, check out Expedition Exchange on the web, read up on there article on OME suspension, it is good reading. As for the SLS, I have a 3" lift and still have my SLS, go check out Rovertyme Enginering and look at his 2" block and adjusters, they work really well.
ARB is not really the best way to go, especially if you are going with a winch, I have seen too many of the get twisted.
What about sliders for protection or diff guards?
As for the lift, it will handle the bumper and winch and give you a much better ride then you have now.
If you want to see some picture of a 3" lift on a D2, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some pictures.
Mike

Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
ajh
Winching

Well, added the Slickrock sliders yesterday, pretty easy install except there's still one bolt missing because of almost no clearance around the front of the back doors. Will have to get a right-angle drill or remove the door or something to finish that one.

Today it gets a hella horn (diaprahm not air) and two Ralleye 4000 Euro-beam lamps on the brushguard.

Slowly getting there. Will be arranging suspension and bumper upgrades within the next month I think. Probably do the bumpers myself. Looking at the Trek Outfitters Extreme rear, but right now it loses the backup sensors and I'd really like to keep those Hopefully it's just a matter of drilling out for them. (anyone done this?) Still considering the ARB bumper though, mostly because I want to keep all the stock lighting. I'm not building this for serious mudding/offroad use, mostly access roads and rough terrain so adding some clearance is nice but keeping it as civilized as I can is also the plan.

Wired in the fridge, added an always-on accessory jack. Looking for a Low-Voltage Disconnect to use as well as a dual-battery kit. Apparently ARB won't ship theirs to North America (though they keep saying USA for some reason) so probably have to have it bought in London and mailed over.

Thanks for the feedback.