Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery and K&N

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Discovery and K&N

We just set the cruise at 65 and stay to the right and get 20mpg, if they want to pass then let them pass.Driving a LR is just like drving your leather recliner down the expressway, smooth, quite and comfortable.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said. Though my cruis works when it wants to. I think its the switch in the wheel. Sometimes it clicks and i can feel it, other times does nothing. So at least i know the vacum pump is working, should be a simple fix.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8893.cfm

its not a K&N, but increases air flow i'm sure. If it harms the MAF, i dont understand why Atlantic British is selling it. I thought Atlantic British to be reliable. They also sell the K&N for all models and years. Worries me.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR5595G.cfm

950.00 to replace the MAF. Makes it even more scary

Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Winching

No offense, but Don't listen to the guys saying not to use K&N. I have had mine for over 2 years and have re-oiled it twice with NO FAILED MAFS. look at that.

K&N states that their product will not harm your MAF. Just make sure not to over oil it just in case. However, someone else said that K&N also states that if the MAF does fail Due to their oil they will replace it. There have been, to my knowledge, no incidents of anyone testing the failed MAFs and finding out it was due to the oil, it is simply a myth.

One more thing. I ran a K&N for two years like I said, then I cleaned it and put back in a new paper filter for 2 weeks. I definitely noticed how the engine wasn't as "peppy". So when I threw the K&N back in it was a big improvement. The rover felt like it was suffocating those 2 weeks.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: 99LRDisc

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR5595G.cfm

950.00 to replace the MAF. Makes it even more scary
Their 225 on Rover Connection.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 AM
Rock Crawling

looked it up, you are looking at 1999 series II.

[align=center]ERR5595[/align] [align=center]Land Rover New [/align] [align=center]$950[/align] [align=center]Land Rover [/align] [align=center]96~99 Discovery
95~98 Range Rover 4.0/4.6
97 Defender
requires ERR5595C
[/align] [align=center]ERR5595C[/align] [align=center]core deposit [/align] [align=center]$350[/align] [align=center]Land Rover [/align] [align=center]core deposit [/align]

Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the fact that a K&N does make the vehicle quicker to respond when pressing the pedal, and that you get a much more aggressive kickdown when flooring the vehicle. I know, it was one of my first purchases after getting the disco. Its been in and out due to the fact that I got scared after reading all the bad revues from other Disco2 owners. When gas recently went up like crazy, I figured that I'd take a chance again and put it back in in oreder to get a few more m.p.g. Although the 'new' found power was very noticeable, I immediately found that I went from 12 m.p.g to11 m.p.g in city driving. So I re-installed the paper filter, and 'you guessed it' the added power was gone, butthe lostm.p.g was back.

All this to say that K&N does make the vehicle peppier, but you definitely lose in the m.p.g area. This I know first hand. Does the K&N kill mafs ??? I don't know. Som swear they do and some swear they don't. All I know is that I ran mine for 6 months without problems, and the guys in my club that have gone through mafs in the last few years didn't run K&N. But I chose to use paper because I prefer getting better m.p.g, than the added power that I noticed, butdidn't use anyway.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: 99LRDisc

Well this info helped lol. Glad i asked. Any suggestions to help "kick-down" when i'm going onto on-ramp or over take with passing
Do you have a D1 or D2.
D2's are completely electronic with no adjustment.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

I agree with the fact that a K&N does make the vehicle quicker to respond when pressing the pedal, and that you get a much more aggressive kickdown when flooring the vehicle. I know, it was one of my first purchases after getting the disco. Its been in and out due to the fact that I got scared after reading all the bad revues from other Disco2 owners. When gas recently went up like crazy, I figured that I'd take a chance again and put it back in in oreder to get a few more m.p.g. Although the 'new' found power was very noticeable, I immediately found that I went from 12 m.p.g to11 m.p.g in city driving. So I re-installed the paper filter, and 'you guessed it' the added power was gone, butthe lostm.p.g was back.

All this to say that K&N does make the vehicle peppier, but you definitely lose in the m.p.g area. This I know first hand. Does the K&N kill mafs ??? I don't know. Som swear they do and some swear they don't. All I know is that I ran mine for 6 months without problems, and the guys in my club that have gone through mafs in the last few years didn't run K&N. But I chose to use paper because I prefer getting better m.p.g, than the added power that I noticed, butdidn't use anyway.
well said, my friend.

Quick Reply: Discovery and K&N