Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Noisey Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Noisey Gearbox

Hi Everyone, looking for some advise!

I have a 03 plate Discovery Commercial td5 (model with indicators in top lights and reverse lights below). She has 230,000 on her, had it for 8 months now. Runs like new even with that mileage on! however...

Since i have had it there has being a whining noise from the gearbox, even with the windows up you can still hear it. It has recently got noiser and as i do alot of mileage it is slightly concerning.

All the gears are fine to select (dont grind or anything) but when in 4th the noise is quieter and gear is alot better selected (other gears bit lose gearstick when in gear).

I have being told by a friend who drove it that it has 1000's of miles left in her but i'm slightly worried.

Would it just need a new gearbox or is there something cheaper i could try replacing 1st which is a fault on them?

I know you cant do so much just over the internet without hearing it in person but any help would be much appreciated.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Many Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Winching

what do your fluids look like (front diff, trans case, rear diff)? do you know the last time the fluids were changed? whats the shape of the trans case fluid? black or burned smelling?

if fluids are good could be a loose drive flange out of the trans case maybe?

Last edited by sloan74; 01-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

I havent on the ramp yet but i will check, i had it have a full service and change of all oils 3 months ago, i assume they should be fine?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling

your fluids should be good to go. with that many miles on it you could need a bearing or something. hard to tell with out cracking it open and taking a look. look into rebuilding the gearbox rather that replacing it....cheaper.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your transmission is on its way out.
I would have the fluid in it changed again just to be sure.
I am assuming you have a 5 speed manual.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be the transfer case. The t-case on the '99 D2 had a decent whine to it but it worked fine and there were never any excessive amounts of material on the drain plug.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Not to hi-jack the thread but I have been getting a similar noise in the last week.

It sounds almost like your serpentine belt 'chirping' as I drive - and it's not the belt - or the engine.

When I give the car gas - it 'squeaks or chirps' and it stops when I stop giving it gas.

It doesn't make the sound when the car is moving and I put it in neutral, or when it is in neutral and I rev it up - its not the engine, its not the brakes, so I am assuming it is either the (ATX) tranny or gear box.

My next step was to check and change the fluids as I JUST changed the fluid in the front axle (just in case).

I do notice a small leak coming from the back by the tranny - which anyone can see it is a sign something is going on.

So the faster I go while giving it gas - the faster it chirps. Almost like some metal on metal rubbing - but I can't find the sound.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Eak, I would recommend starting a new thread for your problem for better response, but have you changed the U-joints in your front drive shaft?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Nope! I couldn't tell you how long most of the parts have been on the car seeing I have only had it since April of last year - and it was finally up an running August of last year.... (minus the fact I did swap and rebuild the engine).

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Winching

x2 what morph said, chirping is usually from bad u joints (metal on metal). my bet would be drive shaft, more then likely the front, in particular the double cardan joint.

Quick Reply: Discovery Noisey Gearbox