Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Owners: READ THIS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:52 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Owners: READ THIS PLEASE!

i am a new member, i frequent 6speedonline.com (porsche) quite a bit.

i am looking hard at a disco, as a daily driver. i am a bit concerned though as i look at the forum's posts...almost all of the posts have to do with technical prob. issues, failures, etc...

is this something i should be concered about if i purchase the 03 disco i have been checking out? any help, advice, would help!!

Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Discovery Owners: READ THIS PLEASE!

1. be able to do routine maintenance youself
2. have a competant mechanic besides the dealer to do your work, it will save you money
3. make sure the used disco has service records, esp. the major ones
4. find a place online to order parts for cheap
5. gets poor gas mileage, depending on how you drive i get about 16-17 around the city

one thing i will say is that after a week of driving in mine i never want to drive anything else. They are extremely safe vehicles and there on-road and off-road capabilities are amazing. As you may have read they will nickel and dime you quite a bit but i think its worth it. If you know how to work on cars you are much better off because you should be able to fix many things yourself. I would get an extended warrenty depending on what it covers and how much but i would say they are a good thing to have. let us know the outcome of your decision

Old 03-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Overlanding

discos are great if you dont mind a vehicle that requires a bit of maintence.definately buy the extended warranty you will get your moneys worth.you will be happy to hear 2003's have most of the bugs worked out.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Winching

Porsche and Land Rover are like apples and oranges. Two different breeds. You should do A little more research.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 AM
4wd Low

luckily the vehicle will come with a over 1.5 years left of warranty "full"
in addition, since it is LR Certified, it will carry an additional 12 months of warranty "on major components" ie a/c, tranny, etc.

unfortunately, i am not a mechanic by any means, and wouldn't do any of the work on my LR.

Bait: I am aware that LR and Porsche are different breeds, I have no interest in the Cayenne. I have a 911 and mess around on that board for fun. As mentioned, we chat about mod.'s, racing, etc. There's little talk about break lights going bad, airbag lights stuck on, etc... That is what scared me a bit about the Disco.

What type of additional research should I do?

Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 AM
4wd Low

rovertech: where can i look into an extended warranty? not at the dealer, right?

any good recommendations...?

i will keep all posted on my progress.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Drifting

forums are a great place to research them, i also found many websites on discovery's just by typing in "reviews on (year) land rover discovery". Also i just approached many disco owners if i saw one and they were more than happy to show me there disco and tell me what they thought and one guy even made me test drive his because he swore they were the best cars, so in my expirience the owners were very friendly and glad to talk about them. I did alot of research before i bought mine and it paid off because i knew what to expect but i think it sounds like you have a pretty good one lined up.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Winching

JP,

Maybe the two aren't so different. They are both luxury vehicles that show status. As you know, luxury vehicles require expensive upkeep. You can research more about them threw JD Powers and NHTSA.

As far as Extended Warranties. Actually the Dealers have the best, in my opinion. The Certified program is pretty good. Watch out for fly by night companies. Many Dealers won't accept them.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM
4wd Low

thanks bait...

believe it or not, the salesperson i spent close to 2 hours with hasn't even rang me to see what was going on with my decision making...

either he is super low pressure, or crazy busy!

Old 04-01-2005, 01:32 AM
4wd Low

i ended up leasing on tonight...the same '03 i mentioned...better lease numbers, shorter term...i think i scored.

Quick Reply: Discovery Owners: READ THIS PLEASE!