Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Pricing Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 12:25 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all those who responded. I appreciate the feedback. After looking this truck over, I decided for the price it was not worth it. The engine had knocking, oil leaks, grease all over the front control arm, grease on the rear axle. The engine started right up, idle great, I was wishing for the best. The car ran great during my test drive, but during a hard brake check, it stalled while standing on the brakes. This happen multiple times.

The interior was nice and exterior in good condition. The frame had surface rust all over. Knowing that I would probably pour thousands into this, without any warranty, and the dealer would only knock only a few hundred off, I decided to walk away.

My hunt continues, but overall I'm shy about pulling the trigger. I love land rover and currently have a L405 for the last two years. I'm cutting back and selling the L405, but I seriously want a disco. For those that have recently purchase, would you do it again?

Last edited by Sam Phomsopha; 01-22-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Do it again? I've done it twice more in the last two years. And see no signs of slowing down. Sorry it didn't work out but it sounds like the right decision. If you are handy, these are great trucks. If you're sending it of to a mechanic every time something needs attention, either marry his sister or look elsewhere.

If your budget is in the neighborhood of where this truck was priced then you should have no problem finding a cream puff. Keep an eye towards the Marketplace here. Most trucks that come through here have had all the weak points addressed. If you're not quite over this one, ask if you can take it to an independent shop for a PPI. Naturally it needs to be a shop that's intimately familiar with Discoverys, but aside from the stalling the other stuff doesn't sound too bad.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:19 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Ditto on “I’d do it again”. It’s very helpful if you can work on it yourself, and have the luxury of waiting a week or two for parts when needed.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Phomsopha
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Hopefully, it's a place I can call home soon . I'm in the market for 2004 Discovery, mainly this year because I would do some pretty challenging trails (or at least attempt to), and prefer to have a locking center diff. I've looked at listings and the prices seem to vary from 5k to 20k.

Here is a listing that I'm seriously considering, however, I think the price at 13995 is a bit high. What do you guys think?

https://www.santamonicasuv.com/inven...ource=cars.com
Hey Sam, I'm seriously considering letting my 2004 Disco II with 99K miles go. I've done all the major work (preventive head gasket job, cooling system, transmission & drive train service & complete tune) and mods, including a 3 inch lift, new drive shafts, full size Baja roof rack,
light racks and upgraded stereo system. Body & interior is a 9+ and I have all maintenance records, service notes. I'm outside Seattle, WA and am looking for 12K. Reach out if interested and I can supply photos and more details. John

Old 01-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

The price is good for CA and condition of the vehicle. South West cars have no rust and the interior looks mint. You'll have an opportunity to do some preventative maintenance, e.g., replacing the cooling system components, and then you'll get a nice vehicle all around. You can go with the $5K vehicle but to get to that level of mint, you'll spend $. Trust me, those plastic interior parts are rare and expensive if you find them.

Bottom line, if you want to do more daily driving than crawling and have $, this is a good specimen.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

Just posted this on another thread as well, but wanted to share here too. My 04’ is listed on Cars & Bids. I think C&B is a little more realistic pricing than BaT. Auction ends Tuesday, might be worth following for anyone considering selling their D2.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwN...-discovery-se7