Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Discovery Reliability

ORIGINAL: tomfraser

I think there are two things to look at...

people have told me that rovers can be a hit and a miss. Some will lasts hundreds of thousands of miles, others will have all sorts of issues

I like to think mine is one that will last a while, the previous owners treated the truck like total **** with no regard to maintenance at ALL, and after doing some fixing it runs like a champ... not many cars can go 180k miles being treated the way the last owners treated this car

I don't think the oil in the diffs or transfer case was EVER replaced (I took a picture i'll have to post)

the plugs were the kind I would never put in my lawn mower

the wires were a combination of two 4 cylinder sets (didn't realize till I put on the new magnacores)

never had a new fuel filter

radiator leaked

interior missing so many different parts, not taken care of at all

no electronics working

CDL lever so stuck it was beyond repair

so many other issues

but now that i've done all the maintenance, and fixed interior, electronics, seafoam, etc. the car is running strong with nothing really wrong at 190k

I would say that after 180k miles of being treated like total trash, then after some simple maintenance it runs strong at 190k, shows that it can be a reliable car.

I spent 1500 on the truck, put work into it, and now love it

Damn!!! Did we have the same previous owner? lol. Everything you listed, I had the same issues with. Totally neglected to the point that the only way you could get into it was thru the back passenger door. And the oil was only changed once a year. Yet I have 120k and it runs terrific. But you are right on the "hit and miss". I saw one with 74k and had a loud knock and one with 97k with a blown engine.... ya never know

Eric

Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The trannys on these things are awsome and proalby the most reliable thing on them, the 04 oil pumps are just a fluke.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a 4.0L than get a 99-01 if you want the 4.6L get the 2004. Simple as that.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that most people confuse maintenance intensive with unreliable. My 97 has needed work since I bought it but it has never left me stranded, including driving through a major blizzard. Since you are mechanically inclined then the Discovery will be a good fit for you. I never run out of little things I find to do to my Disco to make it better but nothing that has to be done to feel comfortable driving the truck down the road.

The difference between a Jeep and Rover are night and day. The Rover is very capable off road while still be elegant and comfortable. In my opinion, a Jeep is very utilitarian and uncomfortable in comparison. But if you have done enough research to know what years have the CDL and which don't then I'm sure you have an idea what a Rover is all about.

The CDL is a nice option. Remember that 2001 models only had it early in the year. All 99-01 models you'll have to add a shifter from either a 2004 or a D1, or a solenoid, to activate the CDL. The 2004 models already have the CDL shifter from the factory. Why Rover ever got rid of the CDL I don't understand. Immediately after you purchase a D2 have the front u-joints changed and go through the 60k service to get the maintenance current and you should be good to go.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't have to modify the Disco for it to still be an amazing off road vehicle. I personally have an '03. I would love to have bought an '04, but they were over double what I paid for my '03, and just not in the budget. Just to give you an idea, one of my co-workers drives a lifted Ford Ranger that is riding on either 33's or 35's, can't remember which, and sitting on my stock street tires next to him, we have the same ground clearance. As said previously, I would suggest the '04 as well. It is a commonly held opinion that the '04 model year was the best Discovery ever made. Now, Spike and a couple of the other D1 die hards will tell you different, but that's my opinion.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
TReK

I consider myself a D1 die hard because that's what I could afford at the time and it's easier to work on. But it's just me most of the time so I don't worry about how much room there is for passengers in the back seat or anything like that. That being said, if I could have afforded a 2004, and knew what I know now, I would have bought a 2004.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love a 2004... I got a D1 for 1500 so there was a slight price difference between my car, and an '04

Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 94 D1 with 46,000 miles for 2 grand..
This I understand is not normal..
Im stoked... Pre Electronic Ignition.. its only a 3.9 but hey..
Its pre Ford Motor Company as well...

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jeeps are lame american versions of what they wish they could be,,,,,,a land rover

Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: llPANCHOll

I got a 94 D1 with 46,000 miles for 2 grand..
This I understand is not normal..
Im stoked... Pre Electronic Ignition.. its only a 3.9 but hey..
Its pre Ford Motor Company as well...
The 3.9 and 4.0 are the exact same engine, electronic ignition is the only difference. I personally like the electronic ignition because I hate messing with distributors. The pre-Ford is a major bonus for the D1s. I know my 97 was built while BMW had control. A 94 for 2 grand is a little low but not that far out of the ball park.

Quick Reply: Discovery Reliability