Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery takes too much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery takes too much oil...

So my disco II is coming along, i finally got the service engine light off. yayyyyy i'm so happy, even though i thought about giving up. i change about everything plugs, o2 sensors, maf,air filter, tie rod, fuel injectors, etc... im losing count. but it seem like my disco drinks oil like i drink water, is it suppose to use so much oil? like every three to four days i have to put oil in cause it goes all the way down, i checked, my mechanic checked but we couldn't detect an oil spill. does anyone knows y this is happening?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um, NO. You should not have to add that much oil every few days. What year is your truck? How many miles? Have you had your head gaskets done?

I can't see how you could possibly be losing that much oil without some sort of leak. Do you have oil spots underneath your truck after it has been sitting? How much oil are you adding, when you top it off every few days?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't add any oil in a 6000 mile OCI, the oil does not even move on the dipstick in that time.

Do you see puffs of blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe? Your mechanic needs to do a compression test and a leak down test. Also you need to clean out your PCV system and the oil separator.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine burns 1-2 quarts every 3,000 miles, but not every 3 days :-/

Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
Mine burns 1-2 quarts every 3,000 miles, but not every 3 days :-/
That is quite a bit consumption also, try to clean out your PCV valve and oil separator.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check for a valley pan gasket leak, if it is leaking it will suck oil into the intake and you wont even know it.
Also keep in mind that if you changed brands of oil this can happen too as the seals will soak up the new oil.
When I changed oil's my truck was thirsty too, a quart a week, it gradually slowed and now she uses 1 qt between oil changes (5k) and thats with a 193k engine.

Need to ask, why weight of oil are you using?

Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
That is quite a bit consumption also, try to clean out your PCV valve and oil separator.

The oil separator's been plugged for quite some time. I just got my valve-cover off yesterday to get the separator un-jammed. I should probably check the PCV, haven't checked that in awhile.

Thanks for the tips

Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
4wd Low

well i have a 2000 disco w/ 136,000 miles on it. i was told that my disco don't carry a pcv, don't know how true it is. does anyone know if there's a check valve in the valve pan? so i had the mehcanic check and changed the oil competely, because he said something to the sort of he had put like a oil cleaner or a lighter grade oil to flush out any old oil.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
4wd Low

I use casto oil 1040 w. since my complete oil change after i did 100 miles i had to put oil in to tap it up. do u know y this is happening?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All engines have a PCV system, yours is not the standard type.
Look on the passenger valve cover and you will see a single hose coming out of it going to the intake plenum.
Remove it from the valve cover adn inside the valve cover is one of these.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9205B.cfm

Its the little plastic thingy in the pic.
Just buy this whole kit and install it.

Make sure you stick with only one brand of motor oil, switching brands will cause oil
"excessive consumption" because the seals and gaskets inside the engine will soak up the new oil.
Once they have soaked up all the new oil your oil consumption will stop.
When I switched oils I could not keep my truck full, after the next oil change it started to slow and then stopped.
Just keep a eye on the oil, replace the PCV system and make sure you stick with that exact same oil and weight, even when you add.
Just buy a case of it at the store and keep in the back of your truck.

Quick Reply: Discovery takes too much oil...