Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discovery vs jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: discovery vs jeep

"I like the tighter feel of the Disco. The turning radius on the GC trumps the Disco, hands down. This has been hard for me to get used to." -jmt

JMT: You mean you don't like having the turning radius of a Boeing-747 ?!

-Ug

Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Mudding

Ok I guess I will jump in on this one. I own an 01 Disco, 95 Disco, 88 Range Rover, and yes sitting in my driveway is a 92 Cherokee (sold today), and a 93 Grand Cherokee. I use my rigs for a little different purpose than a lot of the others here. I bought my 01 Disco because I needed a little more towing power but yet luxury of a MB which I traded for the 01. I like to camp in the mountains and I have a 2200lb Pop Up trailer when loaded. The Disco hands down out tows the GC, and my former Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec. My 01 is all factory stock and intend to keep it that way except for the Thule cross bars on the top. The most impressive thing is when I can climb a 6 to 7% grade andI am right withand in some cases pass the5.0 and 5.7 Ford 1/2 ton trucks pulling the same kind of trailer, and I don't have my foot to the floor. With that saidthe Disco has better control on washboardgravel roads muddy mountain trails and even the interstate. Shortly after I got mine I took a1500 mile tripand didit straight through with virtually no fatigue. Gas mileage is about average of any 5000lb SUV, maintenance is higher.However like everyone says it looks good no matter how dirty it is, even at the nicest places in town. Best advice find one that has good documented service records.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: unrealtrip
My Cherokee can go places only a very modified Discovery could attempt.
Question: Your Cherokee is modified. Is your Discovery unmodified? Unless the Discovery had a similar lift, tires and mods, it would seem anindirect comparison. Just trying to clarify.

Dave

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Disco I is set up as a Overlander so I travel then go
off road and with stock height OME springs and shocks.

The ride is very good I have made trips of over 3000 miles
and other than stopping for gas I was never wore out.

Off road it will do more that I may need, I did stop
in Moab on a trip from Seattle - Dallas and it did great for the few hrs I was there.

I have had a 4x4 and on a trip Dallas- Seattle it was not
fun beat the cr__ out of me.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:06 AM
TReK

I have high respect for Jeeps, and as far as LR's
beinga higher class ride the people that buy LR's just
for that mayhave self esteem issues.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: geotrash

My Cherokee can go places only a very modified Discovery could attempt.
Question: Your Cherokee is modified. Is your Discovery unmodified? Unless the Discovery had a similar lift, tires and mods, it would seem anindirect comparison. Just trying to clarify.

Dave
The Disco is stock, in a direct comparison of the two in stock form, I found the Cherokee to be more competant off road due to turning radius, wheelbase, width and center of gravity. The Cherokee with a mild lift and 31" tires seemed to be more or less the perfect combo and that is how the Disco will end up as well, however because of the aforementioned issues, I do not see the Disco being able to compete as far as pure "four wheeling" is concerned. Just my 2 cents
-Tony

Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Landzu

I don't think anyone here has a LR purely for status or image. I mean, I know people buy cars solely for the image, but there is nothing wrong with buying a car simply because it is a higher class ride, I don't see the connection to self esteem in that regard. I mean, why drive a Trooper when you can have all the luxury of a high end car?

Anyway for me, I wanted a mid-size SUV type truck that offered comfort, luxury, towing power, decent off road ability with the ability to put a lot of gear in it. Personally I went through the same process as the OP myself as a few months ago I was essentially looking at a newer Grand when I started considering the Disco. Both the Grand and the Disco fit that bill.

Then I started weighing out pros and cons. Fuel economy, space, towing capacity, reliability, availability of parts and service, upgrade options, etc. I wasn't too concerned about the upgrade options however as I knew I'd keep them mild. In the end, I went with the Discovery because I could quite simply get more bang for my buck thanks largely to their well known tempermental history and their reliance on premium fuel only.

Cars depreciate, but the Disco's quite simply do not hold their value at all. A car that just 4 years ago cost someone $45k new, I could pick up for $15k and with carfax pointing to a perfect regular service record, I stumbled on a pretty good find. You would be hard pressed for find a similar equiped Grand for that kind of price.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
TReK

I don't think anyone here has a LR purely for status or image. I mean, I know people buy cars solely for the image, but there is nothing wrong with buying a car simply because it is a higher class ride, I don't see the connection to self esteem in that regard. I mean, why drive a Trooper when you can have all the luxury of a high end car?

Anyway for me, I wanted a mid-size SUV type truck that offered comfort, luxury, towing power, decent off road ability with the ability to put a lot of gear in it. Personally I went through the same process as the OP myself as a few months ago I was essentially looking at a newer Grand when I started considering the Disco. Both the Grand and the Disco fit that bill.

Then I started weighing out pros and cons. Fuel economy, space, towing capacity, reliability, availability of parts and service, upgrade options, etc. I wasn't too concerned about the upgrade options however as I knew I'd keep them mild. In the end, I went with the Discovery because I could quite simply get more bang for my buck thanks largely to their well known tempermental history and their reliance on premium fuel only.

Cars depreciate, but the Disco's quite simply do not hold their value at all. A car that just 4 years ago cost someone $45k new, I could pick up for $15k and with carfax pointing to a perfect regular service record, I stumbled on a pretty good find. You would be hard pressed for find a similar equiped Grand for that kind of price.

Most people here drive LR's for other reasons than status
but there are misguidedpeople that do for status.

I say misguided due to the fact that for the most part
LR's have a bad rap for quality.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you may want clear that up by saying, the people who buy an LR, throw rims and other crap like that on it are the ones who have the self esteem issues.

Anyway I think this whole topic is purely opinion. After driving a Cherokee I have no IDEA how some people think it can go places the disco cant. Personally I will never buy a Cherokee, I just didn't like it. Beyond its capabilities, the interior was a disappointment the amount of cheep plastic was sad, and it was just plain. I love the disco layout, sure it has some things I would change too, but not enough the switch to a jeep.

But I agree 100% with the turning radius problem, its only been a issue for me once. I think we should have a Jeep Vs. Land Rover Showdown. We will use all the models and pair them up and put them through the test! Anybody down!?? HAHA this kind of topic will always get alot of attention.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what I can come up with:

For most, owning a Disco is part of a lifestyle.

I never assumed it so, until I started driving mine. So far, I'm happy to be a part.

Quick Reply: discovery vs jeep