Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Cylinder Sleeves Really Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
Yes , they do slip. I have one in my garage that has. The #7 cylinder , for what ever reason, sleeve slipped down just far enough to allow the piston rings to expand over the top of the sleeve and on the down stroke of the piston it broke the top of the piston off in 3 places, spewed alluminum chunks back into the intake tract...fouling 3 other plugs. Amazingly enough though...the engine still ran ( obviously REALLY rough )and I made it home 10 miles / started it the next day and drove it to my shop 15 miles from home to yank out the engine. It had 175000 mi. on it at the time and had never been overheated in the 60000 miles since I owned it. Someday soon I'll try to get some pics of the carnage for all to see.
D1 or D2? 4.6 liter sleeves dont slip.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dynomite
xceller8. the article is saying that there is the ridge that prevents the liner from slipping starting in post 2000 models. was yours a post 2000 model or are you talking about your 98?

i'm with you oysterhead. i'm not seeking the answers for myself as much as us as a forum coming up with the correct conclusion on this. i'm wondering if the confusion is in the fact that LR seems to have made a slight change in the block design post 2000, adding a ridge at the bottom of the aluminum cylinder preventing sleeve slippage. this would help people not to consider a slipped sleeve when trying to diagnose a tick or a miss or exhaust in their coolant, ect.
my '98

Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So all this talk about '04s slipping a sleeve is rubbish. It's really a crack behind the piston sleeve...but did I miss something or is the article a little inconclusive about the cause of the crack? Just poor design when relative to the head bolt it sounded like.

Sad thing is, the flanged sleeves he recommends cost like 4k to install and it's hardly worth it at that point. Better off buying a new block with tapered liners it seems.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Slipped liners

My thought is to replace the motor if the block is damaged and possibly go the route that Bbolin did using the Turner Engineering motor. If it ever comes to this I would rather replace it using a source that has bettered the design and are more familiar w/it.

I don't want to think about installing a used block and having the potential situation repeat itself in the future. Reading about the Turner motor does not sound bad with the design and improved MPG w/the gas flowed head. Of course I have not had to deal w/this situation yet as my Disco falls in the bad Vin# range sitting w/47K miles on it.

Regards,
Zonk

Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the article is good and I tend to agree with his conclusions. You must understand that plenty of reputable LR techs are convinced of the opposite. That's the reason for the thread. To have a good place to discuss this particular situation. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is if a mechanic says a ticking in your 4.6 is a sleeve slipping and you need to rip apart your engine, dont do it. Keep driving that sucker.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that a slipped sleeve would have more symptoms than a little tick, at least some overheating. In which case you would pull the heads and see. But I don't know. What is the fix for a sleeve, replace the motor? In which case just drive it til it dies then buy a motor.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what normally happens is you have exhaust in your coolant and most mechanics would say it's a head gasket problem. so you go ahead and get that done. if your smart you pressure test your heads and have them machined. if all tests good there the next conclusion would be pull the block and pressure test it.

one the block is out, you have choices. replace the engine, just replace the block or install some top hat sleeves.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonk872
My thought is to replace the motor if the block is damaged and possibly go the route that Bbolin did using the Turner Engineering motor. If it ever comes to this I would rather replace it using a source that has bettered the design and are more familiar w/it.

I don't want to think about installing a used block and having the potential situation repeat itself in the future. Reading about the Turner motor does not sound bad with the design and improved MPG w/the gas flowed head. Of course I have not had to deal w/this situation yet as my Disco falls in the bad Vin# range sitting w/47K miles on it.

Regards,
Zonk
Can you elaborate a little on this? Never heard of a Turner Engineering motor.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get the Turner Engineering engine in the U.S.? If so, where?

Just in case I ever need it.

Quick Reply: Do Cylinder Sleeves Really Slip?