Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Do I need snow tires?

The Cooper S/T NOT the H/T is not a highway tire.
Ther is a HUGE difference between the two tires.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tapper

Thanks for the tire research and prices. LambChop, which tires are you leaning towards. I agree that the review for my tires on tirerack was scary. Anybody have first hand experience with my tires?
I figured out which one Im leaning towards. I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. The cheapest I could find a set of Toyo Open Country A/Ts was at TreadDepot.com for $719.52 shipped to my door. That's $95.52 more than a set of four Nitto Terra Grapplers from DiscountTireDirect.com. In other words, I can mount the 4 Terra Grapplers with the money I save over the Toyos - that or put the money saved towards a 5th Terra Grappler.

I searched for local dealers to buy from, rather than buying online, but no dealer within 25 miles carries either of these brands. Normally, Id buy 5, but one of my wheels has a Goodyear Wrangler HP mounted on it which is virtually brand new. No point in replacing it when it'll only be used in a pinch.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Team Owner

YOur local tire shop can order almost any tire you want.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I made it through a blizzard with the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts on my Rover. We've already established they aren't available in 18" but maybe it's time to consider 16" rims as well. Just a thought, not a recommendation. I nearly put a set of the Dueler A/Ts on my Dodge after the blizzard because I was so impressed with how they handled the snow but chose Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors instead. I did quite a bit of research before buying my tires and performance in snow was one of the things I looked at closely. Goodyear uses a 1 - 10 scale to rate each performance area of the tire. The Silent Armors were rated a 10 in snow performance. Dry traction and wet traction were only 9s for the same tire. And even though the tires are fairly aggressive for an all terrain tire they are incredibly quiet on dry roads. At least I don't hear them over the stereo and that's the key. Goodyear almost makes a less aggressive version of the Silent Armor tire, the Forterra that is made in the factory 18" size under the Rovers. They are not rated as well in snow because of the less aggressive tread.

Just a couple of suggestions to give more options to consider. Definitely go to the tire manufacturers website and check out the tires and also talk to the people at the tire shop. You're there to buy tires so it is in there best interest to get you what you need.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Is there any advantage of 16s vs 18s?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Tapper

Is there any advantage of 16s vs 18s?
Im no expert on the subject, but from what I've read there's more tire choices (substantially more!) and tires are much cheaper. Also, 16" wheels are better for more aggressive off-road journeys - when fitted with quality off-road or all-terrain tires, you'll be able to let some air out on trails which allows the tire to flex and conform to the terrain - more traction.

The 18" wheels provide a more "sporty" look and better on-road handling characteristics.

Someone please correct me if Ive provided the wrong information.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

Thats it in a nut shell.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

LambChop. Discount tire has free shipping, plus $50 off 4 tires. The Nittos are looking tempting.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 AM
8th Gear

I run Nokian snow tyres here in Australia over the winter months. Fantastic in the snow (4wd drive does not give you greater friction, only tires give friction) and good in the wet. Great ride and good when roads icy. No negative to running them at all. Give them a go

Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, but you bumped an over 2 year old thread lol

Quick Reply: Do I need snow tires?