Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Landrover dealers charge a lot to diagnose what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Landrover dealers charge a lot to diagnose what is wrong?

Thinking of taking mine to the dealer to find out what is wrong with mine as far as the oil light coming on. I have someone who could fix it pretty easy for free (minus parts) if they could tell me what is wrong with it. Do they do that? For all I know the light might not come back on and it could have just been cold or something but I don't want to chance it and blow the engine. I know I sound like a moron when it comes to engines

Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

As many times as you have been on-line and you want to know if the dealer is going to dig deeply into your wallet?????????????????????
Find a mechanic who can do a proper oil pressure test, cold and when warm, idle and at 2000 RPM's, then get back to us with the numbers.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealers won't always tell you the right thing either. You say oil light and they will tell you new engine, then charge you $100 for the diagnosis. If you want to mail me a check, I will tell you the same thing for $75. Do what Mike suggested.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer is going to rip you off every chance they get. Find an independent mechanic that knows Land Rovers. The dealer is going to charge you a minimum of an hour shop just to plug in their computer. Once they look at your vehicle they will find some way to force you to have the work done there. I've been through it too many times where I take the vehicle in for something simple and next thing I know I have a huge bill of stuff the dealer says has to be fixed before they can allow me to take the vehicle back. Even had one dealer that flat out refused to even let me have the vehicle towed to another mechanic.

Have your mechanic friend perform an oil pressure test and let us know the numbers.

Last edited by AK Rover; 03-27-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Once they look at your vehicle they will find some way to force you to have the work done there. I've been through it too many times where I take the vehicle in for something simple and next thing I know I have a huge bill of stuff the dealer says has to be fixed before they can allow me to take the vehicle back. Even had one dealer that flat out refused to even let me have the vehicle towed to another mechanic.
I'd have no problem sending one or two of my local police officer buddies to the dealer. I'd have no trouble getting my car back. They can't force you to have the work done there.

I'm going to follow Mike's advice though there's a local place that has a Mercedes, Volvo, Land Rover, and BMW sign out front that I've taken a Mercedes to before and been very pleased. I'll get back to the board in a few days with the pressure #'s.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
The dealer is going to rip you off every chance they get. Find an independent mechanic that knows Land Rovers. The dealer is going to charge you a minimum of an hour shop just to plug in their computer. Once they look at your vehicle they will find some way to force you to have the work done there. I've been through it too many times where I take the vehicle in for something simple and next thing I know I have a huge bill of stuff the dealer says has to be fixed before they can allow me to take the vehicle back. Even had one dealer that flat out refused to even let me have the vehicle towed to another mechanic.

Have your mechanic friend perform an oil pressure test and let us know the numbers.
You were totally raped and lied to.
They have no legal right to force you to have work done or refuse to give you your car back.
They need IN WRITING your permission to perform work over $100.
Bring it in for a oil change and they tell you you need a new muffler bearing for $300, they cant touch it until you sign a work order.
If you want to take it home and do it yourself, they cant stop you.
Also by law you are entitled to take your bad parts home with you unless they are required for a core exchange, in that case you get to inspect your bad part.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You were totally raped and lied to.
They have no legal right to force you to have work done or refuse to give you your car back.
They need IN WRITING your permission to perform work over $100.
Bring it in for a oil change and they tell you you need a new muffler bearing for $300, they cant touch it until you sign a work order.
If you want to take it home and do it yourself, they cant stop you.
Also by law you are entitled to take your bad parts home with you unless they are required for a core exchange, in that case you get to inspect your bad part.
That was in my much younger, and only slightly stupider days when I believed pretty much anything a mechanic told me. The situation I was referring to was actually with the brakes and they said it was unsafe to drive and couldn't legally release the vehicle in that condition. Of course the fact that I drove it in with no problems didn't matter.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't mind paying the one hour labor rate if I got correct info. Being in the truck leasing business as a top tech, I can't keep up with all the little issues with a certain product, ie, reefer units, lift gates, Ihc, KW, etc. I have a very good basics and knowledge of operation but may lack tooling or specs to do an accurate repair. That's how I see it. As far as my local dealer, see my post 'MAF Question', I felt ripped off big time and with my knowledge I know their diag. was B.S. That tech shouldn't be working in this field. Find someone you trust, big dollar repairs - get second opinion if your unsure or consult those here on the forums - they have helped me figure out problems with my Disco.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The problem is that auto repair is not an exact science.
One fault can set off another code completely.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

its true spike, these cars can, and pretty often do have strange problems. the dealership, or any repair shop can charge a diag fee as long as youre told upfront, they can also no let you drive the car away, at least without signing a waiver if its unsafe to drive, and yes, a lot of times youll go in for something minor, and end up with a large estimate for repairs, but just because you didnt know something was wrong, doesnt mean it wasnt. the shops job is to let you know of anything that needs repair on the vehicle. that said, if your oil light just came on the one time, theres nothing the dealer can do that most people cant. they'll do a pressure test, and considering that your car is in the vin range for oil pump failures, you probably will be told you need an engine, or that they cant find anything wrong. oil pressure will not set any fault codes on a disco, so theres no diagnosis aside from pressure testing it. you will not, or should not, be given the option of a front cover replacement as land rover says its not a correct repair. in the end, any business you take it to, youll pay for a test. at a dealer you get more then people that should know the cars, you get their liability. if they make a mistake, they take care of it. either way, get it tested... was it only the one time it came on, or has it since?? if just once, and it was right after a oil change, try and run it a little, and see what happens, could just have been a 1 time thing

Quick Reply: Do Landrover dealers charge a lot to diagnose what is wrong?