Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you like the new Discovery better than a DII?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Haha I love my Disco II to death, but it's sometimes painful coming into the DII forums and reading the totally blind lust some members have for the model.

Rewind 17 years ago when the DII came out - what were you all doing? Were you LR's target audience? How many of you bought these things new in 99, 2000, etc?

Yeah exactly - they're an acquired fad and hobby of ours. I really don't think it's fair to judge JLR who is in the business of selling cars.

If you aren't in a position to buy a $60k SUV then I think you should reserve your opinion of the new Disco for a later date - at least as far as it being a complete failure. YOU aren't their target audience anyways - hate to say it.

I've spent a lot of time around LR's premier sponsored venues and worked alongside their communications and PR manager for JLR NA - they spend a lot of time and money reaching out to a target audience. Adventurous families, equestrian competitors driving through their cross country courses with their dogs, buddies driving to their regional airport to get some extra hours in for their commercial pilots license, etc.

LR isn't selling the new Disco to wrench-yielding off-road enthusiasts who do their own oil changes!!!!!! They're offering a product to loyal LR4 customers who have waited an entire decade for a replacement. They are (for the first time) competing DIRECTLY with Porsche, VW, BMW, Audi, plus the Japs for STANDARD premium / lux SUV market share, not just a niche market for offroad enthusiasts.

I really hate to say it, but LR doesn't care if most of us in this thread don't care about the new Disco, because most of us wouldn't even comprehend being able to purchase such a vehicle in the first place.

As far as the capabilities go - give me a break and stop acting insecure. It's rated at almost three feet of wading depth STOCK. That's simply unheard of, by a WIDE MARGIN.

They've also boosted the tow capacity up for the first time in the history of Land Rovers (I think the significance of this is lost of most of the auto media world). Going past 7700lbs now places them firmly past BMW, but also past the Audi AG vehicles Ie Q7, Touareg, Cayenne, etc by a 500lb margin. This is all due to the fact that they dropped curb weight by almost double that, which also yields incredible results in performance advantages.

Just as the LR3/4 was the first IBF frame Land Rover ever, the new discovery is now the first unibody Disco ever.

I mean I respect, admire, and stand by JLR as a company. If they put themselves in a position to sell record vehicles (which they're doing, by the way) then I'll give them credit. They don't make money by impressing a generation which covets products they built two decades ago - they simply MUST compete in the current automotive marketplace.

ALSO for the record, you can quite the Explorer jokes. Ford has a long history of copying JLR products going back a while now. Take a look at the new Lincoln MKZ which is LITERALLY identical to multiple Jaguar models. The Fusion was nearly identical to past Ian Callum designs for Aston Martin and Jag as well. Ford's Edge was a HUGE steal from Disco and range rover ideas including packages that featured floating roof trim, hood wording/branding, etc. This is NOT A NEW trend, and it's ALWAYS been Ford going after JLR - which continues to feature design cues that go back to the original range rover classic and defender.

Having said that, I really don't think the new Discovery looks anything like... well... anything else on the road. I think it's instantly recognizable as being a Discovery and NOTHING else. It truly is a beautiful machine, and taking into account its incredibly light weight, massive interior storage/passenger space, huge towing capability, etc... it looks TINY.

I'd even go as far as to say it looks nearly as exclusive and exotic as anything in the current Range Rover brand lineup, which probably a very controversial decision within JLR.

I'll finish by correcting the poster which essentially said this will tank and become the worst selling product in their history. You clearly have zero clue what JLR is all about and what their true (current) target audience is. You're self-absorbed in your third-forth-generation owner world, thinking the company is there for YOU. And boxes on wheels. And live axles. And ladder frames. etc etc. Yeah, it was 20 years ago, but now they've moved on. Wake up and show some humility. I KNOW I'm not LR's target audience, but I've sold plenty of people in that niche on new vehicles for them. I remain an enthusiast and do my part to boost the brand and uphold their heritage and place as a leader in offroad vehicles and offroad enthusiast communities.

With the feature set the new Disco holds, as well as its performance figures, class-leading space and tow/payload, (probable) great safety marks, amazing lux features at a SURPRISING price point (unlike anything in their current lineup, besting even comparable jeep GC) plus the addition of a diesel powerplant in a NON premium lux / range rover brand for the first time in LR NA history, AND even better (unreal) offroad specs.. I can EASILY say that this will become LR's best-selling vehicle right off-the-bat.
^ agreed. We are planning on leasing one so I can learn all about them and be ready to start servicing them once they are out of warranty.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

It's a really nice car, and I don't mind the technological upgrade, but it does not look like a Discovery. I prefer the style and quirkiness of the DI's and DII's.

I like the Discovery Sport, just because of the size of it would be nice in the city and still has good 4 wheel drive, or enough for winter at least.

I would not be surprised if LR starts exporting Defenders to appeal to the Off Road crowd if they decide it could be profitable. I doubt they stop building that type of vehicle entirely as they want to enjoy the rep that the Camel Trophy brought them. It adds mystique.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
The new Discovery will likely be like the Freelander. Sales will be dismal. Of course JLR is getting away from their roots, a unique looking vehicle that stood out among the crowds. One that drew attention and captured the minds of true off road enthusiast. When you drive down the road in a DI or DII you know you are above the rest and take pride in being different. Leaving an oil stain in the parking lot, laughing when the weatherman says heavy rain and flooding possible today, and knowing that your vehicle competed in a world wide off-road competition that still today is talked about. Now, it's just another typical run of the mill suv. Which is fine but sad. The glory days of LR are over and done with and they were good while they lasted. If you happen to own a DI or DII you have a cool piece of history. Even the LR2-5's will probably be unique in the years to come bc they still had a styling that stood out. The new Discovery though, never.
Seems like you're conflating the Freelander-LR2-Discovery Sport vehicle and the Discovery 1 - D2 - D3 (LR3)-D4 (LR4- D5 ("new Discovery) ?

If by "glory days" you mean blown head gaskets and dropped liners at 80K miles (D2), electronics below the passenger glovebox so small amounts of wading immobilizes you and a "pretend' offroad competition called the G4 Challenge then sure. Discovery 1, did compete in the Camel Trophy, along with Series Vehicles, 90's, 1110's and Freelanders (1998 Tierra Del Fuego)

I think of my two Classics, the 109 and the D2 like I would a classic car. An MGB is a good example. A modern Miata (MX5) would massively outperform a stock MGB in every category, except putting a smile on my face.

I did price a new D5 TD6 and it came in over 100K at the config i'd want, so not likely to happen in the next couple of years but when it comes time to replace the wife's D4, it'll warrant a solid look.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM

ALSO for the record, you can quite the Explorer jokes. Ford has a long history of copying JLR products going back a while now. Take a look at the new Lincoln MKZ which is LITERALLY identical to multiple Jaguar models. The Fusion was nearly identical to past Ian Callum designs for Aston Martin and Jag as well. Ford's Edge was a HUGE steal from Disco and range rover ideas including packages that featured floating roof trim, hood wording/branding, etc. This is NOT A NEW trend, and it's ALWAYS been Ford going after JLR - which continues to feature design cues that go back to the original range rover classic and defender.

With the feature set the new Disco holds, as well as its performance figures, class-leading space and tow/payload, (probable) great safety marks, amazing lux features at a SURPRISING price point (unlike anything in their current lineup, besting even comparable jeep GC) plus the addition of a diesel powerplant in a NON premium lux / range rover brand for the first time in LR NA history, AND even better (unreal) offroad specs.. I can EASILY say that this will become LR's best-selling vehicle right off-the-bat.
LOL, you do know the Explorer (a Volvo based car) has been out for a few years. Obviously, the 2017 Discovery is copying its style. In case you forgot, Ford owned Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover. They owned the design concepts (past, present, and future) while they owned these companies. The have every right to use any design they own. Tata gained that same right for Jaguar and Land Rover when they acquired JLR, assuming no exceptions retained by Ford.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

One ugly cheap looking vehicle. New Discovery next to an even cheaper joke the RR Evoque.. Can you tell the two apart.

Last edited by stillruns; 10-07-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

4 x 4 x far ? Mercy, they are straying from their roots. I have zero issue with making a soccer mom SUV for the steeplechase crowd. The Range Rovers cover this. I like the Evoque as an upscale grocery getter. That Discovery seems to compete against the Evoque for upscale grocery getter. It has better specs, obviously, but it wont appeal to any other niche except perhaps pulling a horse trailer. And anyone with sense would go for a super duty diesel pickup instead. The ground clearance on that Discovery is laughable. Even crossing a one foot deep stream is questionable. The first rock or rut in the stream and you are hung up. This is not Camel Trophy worthy at first glance, and really, it should be. If JLR has intentionally abandoned its roots to pursue luxury foremost and 4x4 as an afterthought, so be it. There are plenty of luxury vehicles, LR always stood out from the crowd for its legendary off road capabilities. It's a shame JLR wants to blend into the crowd instead of retaining a legendary status.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Overland Expo East

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (10-09-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Yea, its not a D2, but its not that bad looking.

And actually, a stock D5 will decimate a stock D2.

Ok, its a much softer design than a D2, but times have vhanged. If you really must question JLR's decision to appeal to a broader market, then you arent the target market.

Last edited by dgi 07; 10-08-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Also to clarify, I think this thread is slightly confusing as I am commenting on the new LR5, which is to my understanding the latest version of the D1,D2,D3/LR3,D4/LR4 line of vehicles.

I think some are commenting on the compact discovery model that is shown next to the evoque in one of the photos.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
One ugly cheap looking vehicle. New Discovery next to an even cheaper joke the RR Evoque.. Can you tell the two apart.
i think you're trolling. Land Rover have been pretty clear about the naming conventions they're adopting going forward. Vehicle on the right is the new LR2/freelancer. The rebadged name establishes it as the "sport" model in the discovery line.

it should look similar to an Evoque given that it's the same car and drivetrain couple to a different body.

"new discovery" is the name JLR are applying to the D5/LR5. You won't see those on the road just yet.

Not sure why folks find this so hard to grok.

Quick Reply: Do you like the new Discovery better than a DII?