Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think it would work

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Do you think it would work

Sorry for the confusion Tjohnson, but TexasLandmark gets bumped up to #1 lol J/K. Sorry guys I accidentally merged this thread with another one by mistake. Didn't want to loose the content so I had to edit it the best I could to save it.

Last edited by Best4x4; 10-10-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:56 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think it would work

So I have exhaust gas blasting into my coolant on my 4.6 2003 disco. Time for a repower

Two questions ?

1. can you plug and play the 99-02 Range Rover hse 4.6 with a 2003 ecu bcu.

2. will the 99 Callaway p38 fit the 2003 disco (there is one available and has the drivetrain) wiring and cluster issues aside

Old 10-10-2020, 03:51 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I know it would work, but I'm curious, how do you know you need a new engine rather than a set of head gaskets?

Old 10-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes I did this in June.

Only real issue is the oil cooler. The 2003 D2 does not have one. You will need to source an oil cooler from an earlier year Discovery so it fits onto the radiator. Or you can be like me and use the P38 oil cooler and be creative and notch some of the plastic that surrounds the radiator and make it fit. Either way it needs an oil cooler since it has a different front cover for the engine and if you plug the holes where the oil cooler pipes plug in you will starve the engine of oil.

The only other difference is the grounding strap found on the back of the D2 drivers side heads vs the P38 has a different ground strap. Just reuse the Discoverys

The following users liked this post:
Tjohnson (10-11-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 04:06 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I know it would work, but I'm curious, how do you know you need a new engine rather than a set of head gaskets?
145k has the dreaded sleeve tap very loud, at first assumed it was HG, added a bars leaks product and replaced thermostat coolant hoses and reservoir cap truck would ldle great run fine no real temp spike but drive it for 5 miles the coolant system over pressurized and coolant only blows out of cap. I realize the additive is not the same a new gaskets. However I bought for very cheap And originally wanted to put a r2.8 Cummins in it. Can’t get one till early next year maybe. I want to drive the disco this winter was looking for 99-02 p38 engine as they were a more reliable block the the last production run that went into the 02-04 discos. Found the Callaway now it’s just the novelty of putting a Callaway in the D 2 where it always belonged IMO

With the tapping sleeve I’d rather swap an engine then do the HG short answer

i think it has the crack behind the sleeve which is leaking the exhaust into the coolant under load from the poorly manufactured blocks for the disco production run

Last edited by Tjohnson; 10-10-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:13 PM
TReK

All good but that same crack in the sleeve would be putting coolant into one of the cylinders, probably the tapping one. Have you been having misfires? Should be a pretty fouled plug in there as evidence to your theory.

I paid to have the swap done, they didn't give me the oil cooler. lol damn!! I did however source the block myself and that did not come with the oil cooler, or the rest of the vehicle, so... Clearly it is pretty much plug and play.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:14 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by keninnc
Yes I did this in June.

Only real issue is the oil cooler. The 2003 D2 does not have one. You will need to source an oil cooler from an earlier year Discovery so it fits onto the radiator. Or you can be like me and use the P38 oil cooler and be creative and notch some of the plastic that surrounds the radiator and make it fit. Either way it needs an oil cooler since it has a different front cover for the engine and if you plug the holes where the oil cooler pipes plug in you will starve the engine of oil.

The only other difference is the grounding strap found on the back of the D2 drivers side heads vs the P38 has a different ground strap. Just reuse the Discoverys
Excellent, any issues with the harness ecu cluster bcu or are they pretty much compatible?

Old 10-10-2020, 04:21 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Dave03S
All good but that same crack in the sleeve would be putting coolant into one of the cylinders, probably the tapping one. Have you been having misfires? Should be a pretty fouled plug in there as evidence to your theory.

I paid to have the swap done, they didn't give me the oil cooler. lol damn!! I did however source the block myself and that did not come with the oil cooler, or the rest of the vehicle, so... Clearly it is pretty much plug and play.
you know that’s the only symptom I don’t have is the misfire during starting, lucky I guess?
im asking more does the p38 engine fit the stock motor mounts and does the disco tcu work for the p38, the Callaway has a different tcu so that would get swapped anyways. I just want to know if the cruise control hill drecent and The cluster will work

Old 10-10-2020, 04:48 PM
TReK

I know I didn't need any different computer parts and everything works.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Calloway is GEMS not Bosch so different ECU, will also need the airbox and all associated hoses, so the 1st engine is the one you need not the Calloway.

Next over-pressure is almost always a head gasket. The cracked block will cause coolant loss but not generally over pressure as you do not get exhaust gases into the coolant. That is not say it could not happen but it is unlikely.

Quick Reply: Do you think it would work