Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know this D2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZchris
What about trying to get it for $11,000?
I would say if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it. For that kind of money, I would definitely have a LR Disco-savvy mechanic check it over thoroughly before finalizing the transaction.

Some people like to build their vehicle up themselves and others would rather buy a turn-key vehicle for immediate gratification. Only you know where you fall on that continuum! Good luck in your search, and welcome to the fold.

Best,
Mike
Durham, NC
2000 DII

Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my D2 with RTE Welding front and back bumpers and a 2 inch lift for 9k but it had 83k miles on it so I'd say offer the guy 10k if you really want it. If he doesn't go for it walk away, your D2 will come along you just have to be patient. I spent almost a year looking before I found mine.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
6th Gear

Cool, thanks guys.

I can price a Jeep and Land Cruiser really well, know what to look for, but I feel like I'm a fish out of water with these Discos.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

with a used Disco's it's really rather simple you need one of two things either a stack of repair bills/reciepts or a stack of cash.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking

Originally Posted by drowssap
with a used Disco's it's really rather simple you need one of two things either a stack of repair bills/reciepts or a stack of cash.
ha!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

True, I paid that price for my 2004 with 80,000 miles, but it was worth it to me because the guy had receipts that he paid $9400 for it, shipped it over from Palm Springs CA, then in less than a year and 5,000 miles had to spend over $10,000 in work done by a few shops, but mostly by a former Land Rover service manager. One shop dropped a something in the engine doing gaskets which led to the rebuild by the former LR service manager. I do not have the time to be fixing the Disco all the time, so I opted to "hope for the best" by getting one with most of the usual issues already addressed.

Pretty much everything and more had already been rebuilt/replaced (the guy could not take it anymore!). Prices are also higher here in the North East. The Disco you linked to would likely be listed at $16,000 around here from my experience.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by catman
True, I paid that price for my 2004 with 80,000 miles, but it was worth it to me because the guy had receipts that he paid $9400 for it, shipped it over from Palm Springs CA, then in less than a year and 5,000 miles had to spend over $10,000 in work done by a few shops, but mostly by a former Land Rover service manager. One shop dropped a something in the engine doing gaskets which led to the rebuild by the former LR service manager. I do not have the time to be fixing the Disco all the time, so I opted to "hope for the best" by getting one with most of the usual issues already addressed.

Pretty much everything and more had already been rebuilt/replaced (the guy could not take it anymore!). Prices are also higher here in the North East. The Disco you linked to would likely be listed at $16,000 around here from my experience.
Really? I bought mine in Easton, PA, I have seen $16k Disco's but they are more the exception (clearly clueless dealership) than the rule.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

maybe catman is the one selling it for 13k haha j/k

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by filbs
maybe catman is the one selling it for 13k haha j/k
Haha...

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

No, most are not that high, but most do not have a full history or all the extras. The dealers around the Manheim Auction usually run them between 7k and 13k, most below 10k. The ones with very low miles and exceptionally clean interiors (and no rust outside) are the ones around $12-$13k, but you still do not know the history. With the upgrades on the OP Disco I suspected it would list for closer to 16k, not necessarily sell for that though.

I almost bought one for 6k that ran ok, but clearly needed work, but you never really know what your getting and I just preferred to have one with a full history on it and all the receipts so at least I am taking a calculated gamble. If it were a third vehicle I would not care too much, but I need it as my daily driver so opted to "overpay" for the hope I can run it for a while with minimal issues. If I had not read this board first I probably would not have been so paranoid about imminent doom to any Disco I bought - so thanks for that!

Last edited by catman; 06-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know this D2?