Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does computer tune rich when MIL is on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default does computer tune rich when MIL is on?

Ive got a persistent idle missfire and poor fuel economy that im still battling and this question popped into my head.

I no longer have SAI but still have the SAI computer. so i get codes fairly often. No biggy, i just reach up and clear the codes with my sangauge, takes me 30 seconds. Well, my damn scan gauge has been busted for several months and I've neglected to send it in for a warranty replacement. So now im reduced to clearing codes far less often because its a hassle to carry around and plug in my traditional code reader all the time. therefore my check engine light stays on for far longer than usual, weeks at a time lately.

Now, the truck is staying in closed loop, but does the computer automatically default to a rich scenario every time the check engine light is illuminated? I wouldnt have thought so, i would have thought that if it were going to go into a "safe" mode it would revert to and open loop MAP.

can anyone weigh in on this?

BTW, my constant symptoms are a rough idle (But no missfire codes), and poor fuel economy, to the tune of 11-12 mpg, 14 on a very very good tank. Also have plenty of black soot on the tail pipe that appears within a couple days of cleaning off.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

As long as the o2’s are working, it will not. As far as your SAI, you could swap in a non-SAI ecu & bcu. Code readers are on Amazon for $5. They will also display o2 voltages semi-real time. If they are cycling normally you can assume it is not missing due to fuel mixture, probably ignition coils.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
As long as the o2’s are working, it will not. As far as your SAI, you could swap in a non-SAI ecu & bcu. Code readers are on Amazon for $5. They will also display o2 voltages semi-real time. If they are cycling normally you can assume it is not missing due to fuel mixture, probably ignition coils.
I can already see my O2v, they are fine, and ignition is all new.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

11-12, even 14mpg, bad?! In a D2!
Lol!
Hope you get it figured out...cuz if you get better mpg, we wanna know the secret!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
11-12, even 14mpg, bad?! In a D2!
Lol!
Hope you get it figured out...cuz if you get better mpg, we wanna know the secret!
Thats 11-12 HIGHWAY miles lol. I'd be perfectly content with that kind if mileage in town.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:33 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Put in a non-SAI ecu.
Wow if those even exist.

Yep.
There are tons of them
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...2+ecu&_sacat=0

Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Guys, focus, I don't care about Sai codes lol.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Guys, focus, I don't care about Sai codes lol.
What if I told you the SAI is part of the reason you are sooting up your tail pipe and running and your fuel economy is poor?

System is looking to actuate a component that isn't there anymore. A component that adds air to the exhaust, to get a proper burn. So now the O2s are reading too much fuel, not enough air. SAI is an emission device, so it wont go into a "open loop" map. (if I remember correctly. tech school was a long time ago)

I have never checked to see what it goes into when the CEL is on, but fuel economy does plummet and I do also get the smell of rich running on the occasions the CEL decides to make a visit.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dgi 07
What if I told you the SAI is part of the reason you are sooting up your tail pipe and running and your fuel economy is poor?

System is looking to actuate a component that isn't there anymore. A component that adds air to the exhaust, to get a proper burn. So now the O2s are reading too much fuel, not enough air. SAI is an emission device, so it wont go into a "open loop" map. (if I remember correctly. tech school was a long time ago)

I have never checked to see what it goes into when the CEL is on, but fuel economy does plummet and I do also get the smell of rich running on the occasions the CEL decides to make a visit.
Sai only runs for about 30 seconds and only Under certain Conditions. When the front O2's fail to see a lean condition the computer just decides the Sai isn't working and puts up the light, after enough failed tests. It still goes into closed loop and operates as normal. Clear the code and it doesn't reappear until the sai fails several more tests.

Ok so the question is, under what circumstances does your cel come on? If it's completely unrelated to fuel or air metering and you still notice a rich condition then we might be getting womewhere.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

mine have all been fuel or air metering...

Quick Reply: does computer tune rich when MIL is on?