Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does D2 Gas Engine have a fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017 | 11:01 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Does D2 Gas Engine have a fuel filter?

Dealing with troubleshooting a P0300 and P0301 and thought I'd change the fuel filter.

Can't seem to find anything about a fuel filter for a gas engine in the RAV (only for Diesel).

Does the D2 NAS have an external fuel filter or just the wimpy screen on the in-tank fuel pump assembly?

Old 07-12-2017 | 11:16 AM
TReK

DI yes, DII no fuel filter.

Old 07-13-2017 | 09:52 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2017 | 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Pretty easy to add an in line filter though. Check out the link in my sig. I think I put it there.

Old 07-13-2017 | 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Land Rover's theory for not adding any external fuel filter to the D2, was to reduce any flow reduction/restriction so fuel pump life would be long. Heat is what kills in tank fuel pumps, and when people run them with old cloggy fuel filters, that causes heat and reduced cool fuel flow back through the pump. If anyone wants to see really cool fuel pump tech, look at the LR3 pump, it circulates fuel directly from the tank to keep itself cool at all times, even if you have a restriction down line I suppose....

Old 07-13-2017 | 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench

I've always thought about adding a filter. For what its worth, I did pull the pump, drain the tank, and clean it, but it was already super clean (107k). The lines may be another story.

I've also always wondered how the rover would perform with 0% ethanol gas. Alas, we're stuck with ethanol.

Old 07-13-2017 | 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Land Rover's theory for not adding any external fuel filter to the D2, was to reduce any flow reduction/restriction so fuel pump life would be long. Heat is what kills in tank fuel pumps, and when people run them with old cloggy fuel filters, that causes heat and reduced cool fuel flow back through the pump. If anyone wants to see really cool fuel pump tech, look at the LR3 pump, it circulates fuel directly from the tank to keep itself cool at all times, even if you have a restriction down line I suppose....
That shouldn't make any difference because the pump has an internal bypass. If there is too much pressure it just dumps excess fuel back into the tank (therefore circulating and cooling at all times, as with the LR3 pump).

Old 07-13-2017 | 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
That shouldn't make any difference because the pump has an internal bypass. If there is too much pressure it just dumps excess fuel back into the tank (therefore circulating and cooling at all times, as with the LR3 pump).

I thought I read that the LR3 pump has a stand alone circuit just for cooling?

I've asked on-line if there was an after market small (compact) fuel pump for a D2 (like the D1) that you can carry as a spare instead of a factory monstrosity?? To my knowledge know one has came up with one...so that tells you just how reliable our D2 pumps are. D1, that's a different story....

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy

I honestly have no idea. Never touched an LR3.

I have seen reference to someone retrofitting a Corvette pump I think? Something like that, but its been atleast a couple years since I've read it. Maybe a little longer.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017 | 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Fuel pump
The fuel pump assembly comprises a top cover which locates the fuel pressure regulator, electrical connector and
fuel pipe coupling. The top cover is attached to a plastic cup shaped housing by two metal springs. The housing
locates the pump and the fuel gauge sender unit.
The lower part of the housing is the swirl pot, which maintains a constant fuel level at the fuel pick-up. A feed pipe
from the pump to the coupling connection and a return pipe from the regulator connect between the top cover and the
housing.
A coarse filter is attached to the base of the housing and prevents the ingress of large contaminants into the swirl pot.
A gauze filter prevents particles entering the fuel pump.
Surrounding the pump is a large fine paper filter element which further protects the fuel pressure regulator, engine
and injectors from particulate contamination. The paper filter is not a serviceable item and removes the requirement
for an external in-line filter
FYI,

There is a filter but located within the pump assembly housing. There is no LR PN for the filter and no reference for replacing if that's even possible. A replacement pump should contain a new filter.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (07-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Does D2 Gas Engine have a fuel filter?